Questions on Header Tank Sealing and ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Questions on Header Tank Sealing and Seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, 23 May, 2013 - 00:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

During the ongoing work on LRK37110 it has become apparent that the header tank has a very tiny leak at the seam on the right side at the front-facing corner.

Based upon another recent thread, I know that the O-ring used to seal the probe set is a very common AS568A-208 (more commonly referred to as a "dash 208") sized one.

What I don't know is what the sealing configuration is for the steam valve, and whether this is one of those "exotic" seals or if it's something you can make again yourself, just like the seal for the thermostat housing. I've got tons of paper gasket material left from the thermostat projects, so if that can be used it's not a problem.

I believe that I will have to remove both the steam valve and the probe set before taking this header tank to my local radiator guy to be resealed (which I imagine involves solder). I could be mistaken about any of those things, though.

Could anyone who's had to have their header tank resealed offer guidance regarding the above issues?

Thanks,
Brian
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, 23 May, 2013 - 01:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

Funny, mine suffered the same fate (in the same spot) recently.

There are two seals on the steam valve: a thick rubber washer below it, and a paper gasket on the cover. Nothing special about the paper gasket.

And yes, re-doing the seam is a solder job. Being closer to merry old England, I opted for an exchange header tank from Flying Spares. I'll let them do the re-soldering. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.