Boot in the rear end Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Boot in the rear end « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Experienced User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2012 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Everyone.

I have been cleaning and painting in below the rear end of SRH19529 and noticed that the rubber boot covering the joint in the off side drive shaft is in tatters the one on the other side is in perfect condition can anyone point me in the right direction about replaceing it, Flying spares price £60 inc vat. HELP!!!!.

Regards.

Richard.

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 - 16:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thats cheap Richard I have just replaced both sides cost $A400 plus labour!on my T1 Bentley same vintage as your SRH19529.
Barry

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fitting the replacement boots require soaking the boot in hot water to increase its elasticity so it can be manipulated up and over the retaining pin for the bearing that slides back and forwards in the outer casing. Adding some detergent to act as a lubricant is an advantage as well .........

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 850
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 - 19:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Boiling hot water. Red rubber grease. ZERO sharp edges on your lever. (Don't do it as per the manual, by taking the pin out!)

Also grease the outer UJ now before you order the boot to make sure that there is no sign of rust or water in it - if there is, change it at the same time.

I prefer to leave the inner half / trunion in the diff - watch all the rollers etc and make sure the joint is horizontal.

Unless the diff seal is leaking to. Then you should reseal that as well!

Good luck. Sorry this won't have cheered you up at all!

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry.

Labour cost! is one thing i try to avoid if possible, As long as it is doable i will have a go at it, I wonder if there Is any info in the Tee One Topics that would be useful.

Regards.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David.
Paul.
Thank you both for your very valuable information,I was answering Barrys post when your advice was posted much appreciate any help i can get thank you again.

Regards

Richard

richard george yeaman
Frequent User

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2012 - 07:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Finaly got round to replaceing the rubber boot on the drive shaft,followed David and Pauls fitting instructions worked a treat. Easier than i would have thought.

Cheers.

Richard.