Routing HT Leads. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Routing HT Leads. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was just wondering what the consensus is on routing spark plug wires. My inclination is to use the existing "channeling" however I do have a couple of reservations about this. The first is most HT Leads in the US are 8mm diameter and the channel that bolts to the rocker cover is clearly designed to take 7mm wire, which means the 8mm doesn't quite fit properly. Also, this channeling means the wires are pressed very close to each other, rather than on most cars, which use separators. Finally the channel carrying the wires sits just above the very hot exhaust manifold.

Has anyone done their own routing of the HT leads, across the top of the engine.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 04:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff I have done away with the original channel system I still have the channels etc that can be re fitted in the future rerouting has the advantage of changing them quickly or checking for shorting. the channels look well but if you need to change a lead it is difficult.

Richard.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 461
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Best I recall the 1970 has the channels but the '77 Wraith II does not. As I am facing a wire and plug change on the Wraith; I'll look more closely.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK we can still get the old copper wire ones. The lead is sold by the metre. And the caps screw in and the dizzy end is a clip and rubber boot. Motor bike shops.

Plug leads are very reliable. The channels shouldn't cause a problem. And they do look neat.

In the advent of a problem on the road. The problem lead could be simply disconnected and a replacement fitted without going through the channel. I have seen this on the odd Shadow.

Radio interference is handled by resistor caps on copper leads. Modern TVs and radios are much better at screening out interference.

To check use a cheap portable radio off station.

My car 17768 has the channels about centre of the rocker covers.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 07:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The channels and rubber boots are a perfect example of Crewe's 'neatness over function' ethos. Mine are on the garage floor along with a heap of other useless junk from the Shadow engine bay.

Geoff has already mentioned two of the disadvantages of these channels. They also force the wire to be bent at a sharp angle when removing the plug leads, and greatly hinder ignition fault diagnosis.

Changing the ignition leads without these fiddly channels is a 2-minute job instead of a 2-day one. If you tie the leads together with thin black cable ties, it can look just as neat as the channels, and is much more practical.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob my car 19529 1974 had the channels I removed them to fit new rocker cover gaskets and also to sort out some running issues, My friend Barrys car a 1980 shadow 11 also has them, When I get my car sorted the way I want it I will put them back on.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 790
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks - I really appreciate your comments. That clinches it then - I shall be running the leads direct, rather than through the channels. The great thing is, I can always go back to using the channels in the future if originality becomes an isuue. Since my car is in regular use, it will be so much easier for maintenance purposes, along with all the other advantages outlined above. I was kind of dithering about which way to go on this. It is so useful to be able to get other perspectives, which in this case reinforced my original thoughts. Much appreciated.

Bob - loved the bit about your useless junk pile on the garage floor - lol.

Geoff.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

I don't know if this was a delivery market thing or a production change, but here are the pictures.

SRH33576, UK Spec 1978 SS-II

SRH33576 Spark Plug Channel

LRK37110, US Spec 1979 SW-II

LRK37110, Spark plug clips

Even though whoever worked on the spark plug wiring on the right side of SRH33576 did not elect to put the wires back in the channel, you can see it's there. This is the way this car has been since I first got it.

You can clearly see that the channels are entirely missing on LRK37110 and have been replaced by a series of plastic clips that keep the wires neatly running in parallel, but with far easier accessibility.

For myself, if I were to even try to use the channels I would use black cable ties to run the leads along the underside of the channel without "packing them in." When/if you need to get to them life is much easier that way.

Brian

Kelly Opfar
Experienced User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, my car, '76 SRE24700, has the same plastic routing clips as LRK37110. According to the spares catalog, these clips started on chassis 30001. My car is more than 5000 cars before that and I would be very surprised indeed if they were not stock to my chassis. My car was largely unmolested when I got it - neglected, but unmolested.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2015 - 14:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Interesting. I'm now leaning toward this probably being a delivery market feature. I like the clips better than the channels, but wouldn't really care if things weren't "tidied up" in this way with either.

Brian, who knows LRK37110 was virtually unmolested but definitely neglected when purchased; SRH33576 is about as molested as a car can get, but everything works as it should except for the occasional issues like the ignition (which can happen to any car)

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, 26 June, 2015 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The plastic clips on the side version I think looks just as neat as channels.

These clips are cheap to buy from auto electrical sites.

Instead of the channel brackets could be made and fitted to existing bolts on the engine. And fit the clips to the brackets.

Check out custom shops and race shops.

My leads are ok so I shall leave them as Crewe-d.

My new word for Rolls-Royce originality. Crewe-d.

I like the little labels and the way the leads are in 2 sets of 4 leads.

Plug leads last for many miles so to me its a non problem. I have heard about cross firing in leads but I have never actually seen it.

What ever your choice as long as its tidy and works.

Lastly if you elect to go commando with plug leads there could be a way to arrange so that more engine is on view especially the logo area.