Contaminated fuel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Contaminated fuel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Saturday, 27 September, 2014 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tescos near me has sold a batch of dodgy diesel with tanker cleaner in it, causing a 100 plus diesel cars to break down. Some ofYooo the cars are beyond economic repair.
Of course Tesco is compositing the owners in full and extra nector points. Every little bit helps.

On our local forum there is a lot of gum bashing about the quality of super market fuels.
Tesco in the South of UK get their fuel from Fawley refinement 35 miles from Poole Dorset UK. Which is Exxon owned. There are 3 other refineries in the UK all at least 250 miles away.

IMO super market fuel is the same standard as direct forecourt pumps.

The additive package mat be different and Tesco premium petrol is of a slightly higher octane than BP premium. Also a manager of an ASDA fuel forecourt said that sometimes the petrol he has is Shell which Exxon is storing at Fawley.

In west moors Dorset is a large fuel dump which is owned by the military. They sell the fuel off to forecourt and refill to keep things fresh.

So IMO is all the same stuff out of the ground processed.in a standard way with mainly a bit of additive to keep the fuel system clean.

The rest is the power of advertising.

Incidently older type diesels would have survived with a service and a flush but modern electronic systems completely wreck themselves due to seals disintegrating and smashing the hp pump up. Older pumps especially the in line jerk pump didn't have rubber seals to worry about because the lift pump would stop pumping due to debris under the flap valves and the plungers in the jerk pump would chop up any debris and clogged the valve above the plunger which stops the engine, that is if the debris got through the filter.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 659
Posted on Sunday, 28 September, 2014 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A couple of years ago Rotherham suffered a flash flood during very wet weather. The whole of the town centre was inundated and closed. Due to the course of the river the flooding extended on & off for miles in all directions both up- and down- stream. One place hit was my local Morrisons petrol station which was under a foot of water for nearly a week.

After the waters receded they had to drain, clean and refill the fuel tanks and, on the first day of opening, I had to go up to Hull for a 3 day jaunt to Belgium so I tanked up The Old Girl and set off.

I barely got on the motorway before the car began to lose power and slow down to a walking pace - at best! I didn't have time to wait for a recovery vehicle as not turning up on time would have meant the loss of the cruise ship fare (NO refunds!). Having recently converted her to LPG I had a full tank of gas (80 litres) as well as the 100+ litres of jungle juice. Unfortunately the gas system was still uncalibrated, so running was poor at best and problematical the rest of the time. So I continued - very slowly on the hard shoulder - switching from gas to petrol and back every minute or so. After a few tens of minutes I noticed that my speed had crept up to 10mph. Shortly it was 20. Then 30 and so on ...

By the time she was running well again I was 20 miles away with only 15 minutes to go before 'final boarding'; so the motorway population was treated to the sight and sound of a maniac screaming epithets as he roared along the outer lane at the ton plus in a Caribbean Blue Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 1. I finally arrived 5 minutes after check in should have closed. Fortunately a couple of high sided motor home owners were trying to pass through the low 'cars only' lane and had snarled up the system, so I (and the 3 cars behind me) were allowed to check in and board the ship!

My best guess is that there was still some fresh flushing water in the bottom of the station's tank which had settled out in my car's fuel tank. By switching between gas and petrol I'd finally drained it through the carbs. The problem has never recurred.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Monday, 29 September, 2014 - 05:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I should think that most garages at sometime get fuel contaminated. They are insured for stuff like this.

I used to work in a garage near a petrol station that got water in the fuel and the cars got as far as our workshop. The petrol station paid for the Work via their insurers and the oil company. Those days it was all carbs so easy, just drain refill.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 661
Posted on Monday, 29 September, 2014 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For the whole 60 miles to Hull's King George Dock (inbetween screaming at slow 80-90mph cars) I was cursing Morrison's soundly for the quality of their fuel supply. I was fiercely intent on giving them a damn good ear-bashing on my return. However, once the problem faded away, it never returned so it would have been my word against theirs. By the time I got home again I'd covered well over 300 miles, so I had topped up the tank with 'Essence' in Belgium leaving me open to claims that it was the Continental stuff that was at fault. I've heard of other petrol stations denying any problems with fuel contamination to some individuals while negotiating with others for compensation for severely damaged engines.

Although the direct distances between destinations (Zeebrugge - Adinkerke - Brugges - Zeebrugge) is less than this I like to 'make a day of it' by wandering from town to town along the coastal side of the E40. Some of them are pretty little towns if you like to wander through the older parts. Despite the utter devastation of the two World Wars there are still many First Millenium structures to be admired and photographed. Sadly nearly all my pics were lost when my first USB mass storage external HDD crashed and deleted a lot of stuff. For those who have the opportunity I cannot recommend highly enough putting aside a half day to view the Atlantic Wall Open Air Museum just South West of Oostende! It's open from late April to the middle of October and, for a few Euros they loan you a digital guide with audio recordings in several languages to point out and explain the various sites of interest.