Speedometer cable repair? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Speedometer cable repair? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, 26 July, 2013 - 07:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I finally got round to investigating the "clicking" speedometer on SRX18501 and found that the problem is almost certainly due to the speedo cable that runs from the gearbox to the cruise control module. The end of the cable that inserts into to gearbox was frayed. The only way I could remove the inner cable was to pull the strands off to allow the inner cable to be pulled free of the outer. It turns out that the frayed cable was that used to form the square end that inserts into the gearbox.

cable

The inner and outer cables are in good condition. I am thinking of wrapping the end of the cable with fuse wire to bulk it out, soft soldering the fuse wire to the cable and then filing it square. An alternative would be to buy a round spacer of suitable dimension, file it square and then solder it to the end of the cable. I could of course just buy a replacement but if I can save 200 bucks, then great.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff.

richard george yeaman
Frequent User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, 26 July, 2013 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff.
My thoughts would be to try brazing it you could build it up to the right thickness and then file it square the brass would probably last longer than the solder or you could just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2013 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard

Thanks for your reply. I do not have brazing equipment however I managed to carry out a very effective repair on the inner cable with some 1/8" square brass tubing that I bought from our local diy store. Unfortunately it did not fully cure the problem. I suspect the outer cable must be frayed also. Bullet now being bitten.

Geoff.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2013 - 12:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I would not immediately bite the *whole* bullet. It might very well be less expensive to have a new cable made by a reputable shop. I've already posted on "that other Rolls-Royce forum" where you can find a list of those located in the U.S.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2013 - 13:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian

Many thanks. I shall check it out.

Geoff