Copper cored HT leads Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Copper cored HT leads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, 11 November, 2014 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just ordered an electronic ignition kit and a high output coil for my 74 SY1. Is it safe to use copper cored HT leads with this setup or is it better (for the coil) to use resistive, carbon trace HT leads. I prefer the copper cored HT leads, currently fitted to my car and only want to change them if really necessary. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Geoff

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, 11 November, 2014 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, I have copper leads with suppressor caps on my S1, using Pertronix ignition and a high output coil, also on my Austin Healey. Brilliant, no problems but ensure the cap and rotor arm are new as these can fail ( and did on my sons Jag with this setup )
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, 11 November, 2014 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

Thanks for the info. Great collection of cars you have there.

Geoff

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.74
Posted on Tuesday, 11 November, 2014 - 10:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would say from experience that having fitted copper leads in place of the carbon jobbies and not noticed one iota of difference. In short yes copper will be fine.

My car has one odd copper lead B2. The rest are carbon. One would never know. I found out when after 18 years of ownership the plug cap fell off.

I used to have a kit from Lucas to make up copper leads. When it got all used up. I brought a 100 sets of leads for Ford pinto engines because the leads were long and each set cost £1.35. I used to charge £2 per lead.

Nowadays only sets are available and are jolly expensive.

The copper stuff with the terminals are available from vintage wiring.

Many years ago my mate had a Honda 90 cub which someone stole the ht lead by cutting the lead off the coil. So we got a bit of insulated copper wire and put it in a plastic tube and connected it up and the engine ran fine until he sold it a few months later.

What plug caps are you using and what does the kit say about leads and ohms per foot.

After fitting kit run engine and using a portable radio tuned off station check for radio interference.

If an ignition coil is allowed to spark to an antenna such as a 50 metre long piece of wire. Then a radio signal will develop. Which is basically what Marconi patented, he didn't invent this he just saw the potential for a party trick.

(Message approved by david_gore)