Speedometer globe / lamp replacement?... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Speedometer globe / lamp replacement? Help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Rogers
New User
Username: jeremy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1975 Shadow (RHD)

Hey guys,

Having a little bit of an issue with swapping out the blown (assuming) globe / lamp for the speedometer.

My handbook explains that once removing the facia panel and removing the securing screws to the speedometer it should simply be 'withdrawn'.
From a few attempts and looking at everything from under-neath, it appears there is a rather thick black cable that is restricting the speedometer from being removed.
With a bit of research it sounds like it's the accelerator cable.

Does anyone have any pointers as to how exactly I can complete this task of replacing the speedometer globe?speedo

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 964
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 13:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeremy,

Unless I am really mistaken what you're showing circled is the speedometer cable. Your speedometer is of the era that still uses one rather than transmitting the speed data electrically.

See Chapter M - Electrical System, the end of PDF file page 52 and the start of 53. It notes there that you must disconnect two cables, the speedometer drive cable and trip cable, and the lamps before the speedometer can be withdrawn. Depending on how things are arranged you may be able to get it out far enough to do the disconnecting with the rear of the instrument just in front of the metal mounting frame. If not you may need to reach down into the open space after you've removed the top roll and remove them that way before it will come out.

If memory serves you simply (provided it hasn't become "welded in place" with time) unscrew the knurled fitting to disconnect the speedometer cable from the instrument body. I'm guessing the black cable next to the main speedometer cable is the trip [odometer] cable, but have no idea how that gets disconnected.

Brian

Jeremy Rogers
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 14:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank-you for this information Brian.

The second black cable has a fair bit of slack on it and looks like it'll have plenty to allow a good 5-10cm of room.

I'll have a go at unscrewing that fitting at the back of the speedometer, hopefully that's all it is :-)

Jeremy Rogers
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 15:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update on the issue:

Turns out the globe wasn't blown. The globe and it's holder had simply come loose and weren't sitting in the correct housing thus emitting no visible light.

As Brian suggested, unscrewing the little part of the speedometer cable allowed the whole unit to come loose and I was able to investigate properly from that point on.

I went for a test drive and the speedo seems to be reading correctly, it's too bright of a day to check 100% if the globe is still working but it didn't appear to be blown on inspection.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 18:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As you've discovered, you don't need to take the speedo out to renew the bulbs.

The bulb holders just pull out (or more likely fall out) from the back.