Rear Height Control High-Pressure Hose Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear Height Control High-Pressure Hose « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, 29 July, 2014 - 02:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The question occurred to me last evening while pondering underneath the Car: why is the high-pressure feed hose for the rear height control different from the other pressure hoses in the hydraulic system? After all, every hose except the return hoses, has the potential to experience the same pressure.
As far as I can tell, although it is smaller diameter, it is the same. What are the fittings on the ends? Are they for the Girling flare also?

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, 29 July, 2014 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy,

> why is the high-pressure feed hose for the rear height
> control different from the other pressure hoses in the
> hydraulic system?

I have no authoritative answer to your question, but I do have some speculations. One possibility is that it has been replace somewhere along its life. A second possibility is that it might be constrained somewhere along its path requiring a smaller gauge. A third possibility is the Rolls Royce realized that a smaller gauge would meet all the requirements and made an engineering change. Seems like such a realization would have much further consequences beyond just the one line, though. A forth possibility is that it is a pressure balance mechanism among the calipers and the height control... And now that I read what I have written, it doesn't seem likely because pressure distribution and balance is handled in other ways.

Maybe it reduces fluid flow and prevents the height control from jumping around like some L.A. low-rider with air-shocks. (-:

As I review those speculations, I don't have much faith in any but the "replaced" possibility and I am curious to hear what you discover.

I am following your project with great interest. Pictures of your questions and discoveries would be beneficial; at least I would find them interesting.

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, 29 July, 2014 - 03:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Continual pressure hoses are usually the braided type.

The others spend most of their life at near zero pressure.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, 29 July, 2014 - 13:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Makes sense to me; thanks a bunch.
I am replacing the one on my Car so I got it off this evening; other than the rusty fittings it looks pretty solid, after 44 years.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Tuesday, 29 July, 2014 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't see any reason to restrict flow using smaller hoses,the restrictor valves do that job. My hoses are regular dot Lockheed/Girling pipe fittings.

Citroen are far faster and don't jump around I have driven new shadows and they are not fast pumping up.

My hoses are 40 years old and are shot and are about to be replaced.

I think it is.straight forward to change pipes and bleeding is easy

Operate the ram full stroke so air goes to ram open nipple car sinks close nipple. Then use car and any small slugs of will hopefully find there way to the return as you drive.

Apart from the same pump there is no connection to the brakes.
I don't understand why the flexibles are fitted

(Message approved by david_gore)