Exhaust bits Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Exhaust bits « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today I went to see a mate who into hot rods

He showed me these exhaust parts

A 60mm tube with a 180 bend a flanges and a tube shaped to go over the axle

He showed me a part finished exhaust

I was impressed the exhaust looked factory made very tidy

He has no pipe bender. He cut and shut tubes and prebent tubes

The parts are on the web

The prebent 180 was £15 Cheap!!

Stainless available as well and silencers

Shadow exhaust £600 mild steel £1200 in stainless

Home made £100

All you is the skill and patience

His welding is invisible

Also a bell crank for the throttle linkage

He made it from brass and chromed it. Every thing on this car is exquisite it makes a RR look ordinary!

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 - 09:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

I hope your mate uses 10 gauge or 12 gauge type 304 stainless steel tube for his R-R exhausts; this reduces the noise factor considerably when compared to the more common 16 gauge/18 gauge aftermarket systems.

Type 316 stainless steel should never be used as it is prone to embrittlement [sigma phase formation for the technically inclined] when exposed to temperatures in the range 500 deg C to 800 deg C; this temperature range is usually encountered close to the exhaust manifolds in a region where the pipes have been bent to clear obstructions in the engine bay.

Whilst many OEM systems are made from straight Chromium stainless steels [e.g. AISI type 409], the commercial availability of tube is invariably in the lighter gauges which I consider inappropriate for R-R systems due to the reduced noise attenuation. [I am guilty of annoying my neighbours many years ago running DRH14434 with open exhaust manifolds and temporary flame shields to hear the engine in all its glory; the crackle on over-run was worth it...... ].

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.74
Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 - 11:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He doesn't build exhausts for RRs only his hotrods

The exhaust he is building is to be chromed

The Standards of hot rods has dramatically increased in the last 10 years

My interest is my exhaust 1997 fitted is getting tatty

I could weld it but making New bits using web parts ready bent would be far better

304 is the way to go for up to the first box. Then maybe 406. 2mm is easier to weld.

Fortunately my front section is ok

From years of mucking about with exhausts I have found that it doesn't make much difference to the engine if the exhaust is SENSIBLY redesigned. Also noise and performance are not necessaryly interlinked.

The hot rod is a rover v8. It has four silencers two for each bank

He says it will give a quiet burble up to 3500 and then get more aggressive.

This would suit a shadow very well

I had a bsa a10 road rocket 11:1 cr GP carbs wild cam reverse cone short mega phone silencerd at 7000 rpm it wailed. I used to nail it along the A40 at hangar lane tlhere is a bend just after the underpass which is 60 mph pegs dragging so I would shut down in the under pass on the brakes hard to get from 110 to 60 and then tip the bike in the bend and release the brakes slowly then back on the gas.
The noise on over run but I couldn't stay with a Honda cb750

Now things are different and you will get prison or dead

There is a co near me called technical tubes who use SS and another that make hospital stuff both have got me SS in past and TT bend tubes. So all problems solved.
I reckon 2 90 bends and 7 ft of straight and 2 silencers plus the original front which is SS.

I get confused with material spec.
so have taken notes and highlighted my spec tables.

I have a telegraph pole and a steel sign post post outside my house which are great for curving sheet metal.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 - 18:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

Are you thinking of making a dual exhaust system rather than a single exhaust? Also 2.25 inch instead of the standard 2 inch system?

Easy way of gaining a few extra horsepower without too much expense. Also, including a balance pipe between the twin systems before the first mufflers should give a more characteristic V8 note.

As an aside, No. 1 son currently has a Ducati 1198RS bought brand new when released in Australia, he says it is a great bike when it is running but he has had more problems than expected fixed under warranty .

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 - 19:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob and David, SRH19529 has a SS exhaust system that was on my car when I got it 3 Years ago the previous owner had the car had the car for 7 years and it was on it then I don't know what gauge the metal is but it sounds good and shines up well.
Richard.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Monday, 21 July, 2014 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave
Single pipe 60mm

Ducati seem temperamental

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.83
Posted on Monday, 21 July, 2014 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My pc is misfiring at the moment sorry for abrupt post

Dave
I am going to use 60mm and single pipe for simplicity. I have found a cherry bomb for the tail. Which is am absorbsion type and an oval offset baffle type in stainless

60mm is a popular choice for hotrods and the size is well catered for.

The original RR front box is good this is parallel to the car as is the tail pipe which is set further from the car centre line than the front box.
The offset oval box will if connected straight to front box will then off set the outlet pipe to line up close to the diff.

Then a bend to miss the drive shaft and align with the tail box

Well thats the plan

I would advise your son to write to Ducati to make them aware that there is a problem be nice though
Ducati have this Ferrari ish feel.
I am surprised because like Ferrari Ducati upped their reliability.

Ducatis sound is deeper than my a10 was the silencers were misnamed loudeners would be better.

110 mph on a a10 was epic. A while after I rode a Honda CB750 and 110 was easy which is why BSA and others went broke.

Stainless steel is the way to go.
The hot rod guys are also saying loud exhausts is so last year and it's about smoothness and muted burbles.

They should get RRs.

Also the Rover V8 he is using is tuned to 180bhp and projected weight of the car is 1100 kg so is not fast just enough to be fun. He says no sane person is going drive it much faster than 80 mph so why make it fast.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Monday, 21 July, 2014 - 10:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While researching exhaust stuff.

I found weldable bosses for oxygen sensors

If a oxygen sensor is fitted to a carb car then the signal from the sensor could be used to check the carb mixture.

My car has open loop lpg. I intend to fit as I build the exhaust a sensor boss and a stepping valve on the lpg system ( There is a kit with stepper sensor boss and ecu) to turn the lpg closed loop

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.77
Posted on Sunday, 27 July, 2014 - 06:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My exhaust plan is not going well due to material price and quantities. I will have buy off cuts when available from scrap bins.

I saw a new system on a Dodge car which was very nice.

I found a perforated SS 63mm tube for silencers at £11 a 1/2 metre everything else is expensive and or wrong size.

So £1200 From flying bits is not expensive and it is 2mm thick.