Accumulator Part: Washer - Joint - A... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Accumulator Part: Washer - Joint - Adaptor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 - 12:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know if this washer is supposed to act as a crush seal or whether it's a spacer?

When I took the accumulators off and all this stuff apart they certainly looked as though they were steel and spacers, but now I'm not so sure.

I've attached a copy of the parts manual page with the item in question with arrows to it and its description. Sorry it's so small, but it's reduced to the forum limits.

Accumulator Illustrated Parts Manual Page

Brian

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a crush seal as you describe it. It is a special part, and starts with a conical profile. The repaor kit includes the three o-rings and the washer, and is not expensive from Crewe.

RT.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, 01 April, 2013 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Thanks for the info. Of course, based upon its thickness and what appears to be its metal composition I never thought that was possible. I thought it was almost certainly meant to distribute force in some way. I would have expected thick copper crush washers as are used on two of the hoses in the system with bulkhead connections (and would have annealed those and reused them).

I'm guessing that's why I have a leak at the ACV adaptor connection on two out of three that I redid, one very, very minor and the other somewhat worse.

Now I'll have to figure out if there's a reasonable way to get this connection apart without pulling the entire accumulator assembly back out of the car.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2013 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, the quote, per washer, from the most commonly turned to US parts source is $17.81 per washer if I can wait a week or two for them or $20.66 if I need them rush.

While this is inexpensive in the grand scheme of things it's *%$)#@ing outrageous for a single washer.

I'll probably order two, but I'm going to be sure to do some postmortem analysis on the originals to see what they're actually made of.

Brian