Starting up Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Starting up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2012 - 15:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Heres one for you... when starting the engine first thing I ensure the gear is in Park, one push of the throttle and turn the key and click - nothing, move the key back into the off position and try to start again, hey presto works every time. This seems to happen intermittently every day day now. Any suggestions for me please.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2012 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi. Probably the relay but . . . I would get a test light on the starter relay and get somebody to hold it in the first non starting crank key turn.

See if the relay is getting a start signal and then sending it to the starter and ignition coil. / ballast resistor.

That will narrow it down to relay or which half of the circuit has the problem.

of course it probably won't do it when you are checking!

Sent from my mobile . . please excuse the nonsense!

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2012 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This problem has been covered recently. Unfortunately I cannot find the original thread at the moment, so ...
It seems that if previous owners have had a large and heavy bunch of keys hanging from the ignition it will wear or distort the internal contacts behind the lock barrel. Although replacement is the easiest option it's often possible to 'take up the slack' and have the unit operating properly again.

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, 19 October, 2012 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for this, I did read the posts re heavy key rings but I only have the boot key and ignition key and a small leather RR fob on mine.
I think i will look at replacing it