1974 Corniche convertible wooden bows... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » 1974 Corniche convertible wooden bows and roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rodney Peach
Frequent User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2013 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
Now we are getting along with paintwork restoration ! I want to buy new everflex roof headliner and all the wooden bows top bows and the pieces that ruen along base at rear bodywork to roof where can I buy all this it seems difficult in Uk hood yes (roof) but headlining buy meter and not all taylored then in US theres a place roof yes ! Any help would be a great help!

Regards
To All Rodney

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2013 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rodney,

We can supply a kit but there is still a lot of work to be done.

As you probably know the Corniche was still fairly hand-built and so each is slightly different.

The wood and the hood would be made to a pattern but you will need to find somebody to hand finish it. Fitting and final shaping of the wood. Fitting and cutting the roof to size at the wood etc.

Have you taken the old roof off. Hopefully not so you can take lots of photos and measurements so you can get the new one back correctly.

That is assuming it hadn't been redone badly already in the past?

A long old job but worth it and worth getting right.

I may be out in La Palma soon if that is of any interest. (Without my trimmer though unfortunately!)

Good luck, Paul.

Rodney Peach
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2013 - 18:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Can you send me prices and photos of the wood work that you can supply and what about roof and headlining? Yes they have took roof off and taken photos .
I am along way from las Palmas on mainland Spain in the north.

Regards
Rodney

Rodney Peach
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, 28 November, 2013 - 01:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Can you help out with the wooden bows and everflex roof and headlining? If not can anybody Help and advise where I could buy it all? I can send photos of car with roof off now we need the wood around rear too!

Regards
Rodney

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2013 - 07:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rodney, sorry for the long delay - just got back.

The wood should be made up and shaped to the car. A good carpenter should be able to do that out there.

A R-R quality hood with headling and the padded layer between - made to pattern ready to fit is about £3000 + vat.

There is still quite a bit of careful fitting needed to get it fitted smoothly.

Also you should make sure the tension cables either side are in a good condition to.

Regards, Paul.

Rodney Peach
Frequent User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, 18 December, 2013 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
No worries car is still in body shop but want to get this all ready ! is that how much it all is? in US there is a company who do all this but don't know what they are all about and quality ?? it is alot cheaper only they didn't mention padding etc ! also need the trim that runs around the rear of roof when finished do you know the one I mean?

Regards
Rodney

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Wednesday, 18 December, 2013 - 06:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rodney,

Don't forget you will also need the "press stud" male clips for the folded roof cover used to cover this assembly when the roof is down. The retaining screws for the trim strip you refer to also attach the press studs. You may need the cover to determine where the clips go if the original screw holes have been covered over by rust repairs/repainting and you cannot obtain a OEM pre-drilled trim strip.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, 18 December, 2013 - 08:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I can not comment on the hood that you are talking about - who is it from.

I can say that I have worked on a few Corniches that have returned from the States and have found the hoods very disappointing. Very cheap vinyl, window the wrong size, Nylon headlining, and no or very thin padding layer.

Quality - remembered - price - forgotten

There should be two trims. One runs around the bottom of the the hood where it meets the paintwork. Another runs across the rear of the hood above the rear window. Both should be trimmed with matching vinyl.

Both are available - which do you need? I'll check on prices for you if you let me know which you need.

Best regards, Paul.

Rodney Peach
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, 18 December, 2013 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Paul,
they are www.theconvertibletopguys.com have you heard of them take a look?
Yes Paul it would be the lower strip that meets paintwork as you say and the other up top they are both same colour as roof as you say in white .
Can you send me a total price list and photos colours available and the wood work available etc?

Regards
Rodney

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2013 - 01:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2013 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rodney, don't forget wood needs to go on before paintwork.

Cheers, Paul

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2013 - 01:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Huge price difference here. Rolls Royce quality at $5000 against aftermarket price of $720. I am in no doubt that the former is of much higher quality but the 4K difference. I'd be sorely tempted to go for the lower price option.

Geoff.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2013 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW that is cheep. Even at $919 plus $600 for the head lining. That's about material cost alone I think.

No mention of the padding though. Perhaps you should email them about that to.

The one in the photo looks all baggy, especially around the rear window and above the door.

Last thing you want is a roof looking like an anorexic whale!

Maybe in Spain you will only use the car on dry days and have the roof down all the time anyway.