Cruise Control Lower Bellows Arm Bolt... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Cruise Control Lower Bellows Arm Bolt/Screw « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, 22 May, 2014 - 01:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of the things I discovered while working yesterday is that the bolt that secures the lower end of the long, thin arm that comes down from the cruise control bellows to the engine is missing.

What I can't figure out is what size this thing should be. It's not 1/4-28TPI and it's not 5/16-24TPI, both are two small, but when you step up to 3/8-24TPI it's too large.

Any ideas as to what size this thing should actually be?

Brian

Kelly Opfar
Experienced User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 22 May, 2014 - 03:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've looked at my pictures and none clearly show where the bottom of the bracket attaches, but I assume it bolts to the back of the head. My heads are sitting on my bench right now and all of the holes on the front and back of both heads have helicoiled 5/16-24 threads in them. The only threads on the back of the block are the bellhousing mounts and they also only have 5/16-24 threads at the top. Perhaps one of your helicoils is damaged and inhibits insertion of the correct bolt?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 823
Posted on Thursday, 22 May, 2014 - 03:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Thanks. Your thesis makes perfect sense since this is the largest size that will fit through the holes cut out in the two pieces of metal it's got to pass through. Once it goes through it feels like there are no threads in there at all. It's entirely possible that the helicoil was extracted at some point in the distant past and never replaced.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, 24 May, 2014 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Since you say your heads are sitting on your bench right now and you can see the helicoiled 5/16-24 inserts in them, could you do me a favor: measure the depth?

I need to grab some of these but hole depth matters and it's a bit tricky to get to the hole and measure on the car.

Thanks,
Brian

Kelly Opfar
Experienced User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, 24 May, 2014 - 02:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,
The hole depth is 7/8" and the insert length is 5/8". In a rare bit of serendipity, a 5/16"-24 helicoil goes in a 3/8"-24 tapped hole. That's a regular fine series bolt size. You could fish out the remnants of the existing helicoil with picks and pliers and drill out the bracket to accept a 3/8" bolt. That might be easier than trying to fit a helicoil installation tool between the head and the firewall.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 830
Posted on Saturday, 24 May, 2014 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Thanks.

Brian