Old style oil filter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Old style oil filter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donald Maloid
New User
Username: prodmgr

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 29 June, 2008 - 23:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,
My 1960 Bentley S2 is still all original and I have a concern for the burlap type oil filter in the oil can. I've read that if this rag style filter deteriorates and gets into the oil system, it'l destroy the engine it protects. Is there a conversion or replacement paper filters such as "Fram","Puralator", or "WG" that here in the US can be used? please help!

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 981
Posted on Monday, 30 June, 2008 - 00:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David do not use the car until you have changed the filter. In the time it has been there it has probably rotted. I had an S2 where all that was left was the metal coil designed to hold the felt. There is certainly a replacement cartridge filter from dealers. Get the original because you will certainly need an included conical seal and doughty washer for starters. These bits do not come with after market inserts.

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, 30 June, 2008 - 01:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very Sound advice from Bill. Donald, take it as an order - not a suggestion!

Makes you wonder who has been servicing these cars, unless it was a barn find!

Donald Maloid
New User
Username: prodmgr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 30 June, 2008 - 23:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys I will get that filter updated...

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.89.150
Posted on Wednesday, 16 September, 2009 - 13:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Golly gee whiz!

Not that anyone supplies the old style fabric filters anymore anyway, but I don't leave an oil filter in a car long enough for it to rot and deposit pieces of itself in the engine! Who are these people???

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: