Cloud II steering issues Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Cloud II steering issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rich cwik
Experienced User
Username: lotusrich

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 16 July, 2008 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone changed the rubber bit between the steering column and the steering gearbox on a Cloud II? Is it easier to remove the column from the top, or to remove the steering box from the bottom of the car? The shop manual says to remove the Pittman arm before you remove the box, but I don't think that's necessary to do it, if you remove the link instead.I can't picture ir being easy to remove a steering arm that's been firmly attached for 50 years. This car has a nasty "click" in the steering wheel ( engine running or not), whenever you turn it. I've adjusted the eccentric, but it only got slightly better-or much worse- and the oil level was good.I think it either lost a bearing in the eccentric gear or the rubber has perished-this I think, being the most likely, since, after all, it is a fifty year old car. A guy in California said it was about a twelve hour project, but didn't indicate his preference, top or bottom

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: