Generator light Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Generator light « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Jones
Experienced User
Username: jeffoir

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 21 November, 2007 - 18:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've been adjusting the mixture and idle speeds on my Cloud 1 SWA82, but when I adjust the idle down to the service manual recommended 400-425 r.p.m., the generator light on the dash comes on. If I increase the idle to around 600 r.p.m. it stays off. Is this normal, or does this indicate a problem with the generator, or the control box?
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Regards, Jeff.

John Kilkenny
Experienced User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, 21 November, 2007 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is quite normal for a generator, as distinct from an alternator. The regulator will usually cut in at a fast idle(when the generator output voltage reaches around 13.5 volts) so if the generator light goes out at 600 you are doing OK.
However keep an eye on the ammeter to check that a good charge is maintained during normal running.

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User
Username: mernon_lollich

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 21 November, 2007 - 23:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My first ride in a Silver Cloud was in 1957, the car being driven by the dealer. Sitting in the back seat waiting the a signal light to change, the only indication that the engine was running was the flicker of the generator light. If only my now 49-year-old Cloud were so quiet!

Mernon
LSJF72

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2007 - 17:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that information John and Mernon- I'll set the idle down to the lower r.p.m. without the light worrying me! Incidently, I noticed the engine was a great deal quieter and smoother at idle with the idle speed set at around 400 r.p.m. compared to at 600 r.p.m.- might be worth checking it on your Cloud, Mernon.
Cheers, Jeff

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 23 November, 2007 - 00:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff - Actually my engine is pretty quiet. The idle is set at 450 revs and quite smooth apart from the typical tremor every few revs (I'm told this is quite common with the sixes). There is more road noise than I'd like, but I suspect most of it is age-related - tired body mounts etc. Also the new steel-belt radials are only slightly quieter than the bias plies were.

Mernon

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 23 November, 2007 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again Mernon. I'm glad you mentioned that tremor, my car has that too and nothing I've tried has got rid of it (new coil, leads, electronic ignition (God forbid!), new spark plugs, carb and distributor overhaul, timing adjusted etc). I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice it- but I'm a typical obsessive-compulsive RR owner who likes things perfect!! Did you notice any changes in the ride and handling with the radial tyres (tires in American speak!)? I've got cross-ply's at the moment, but am considering radial's next time they need replacement.
Thanks and regards, Jeff

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, 24 November, 2007 - 00:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff - There was considerable discussion about the tremor on one of the forums very recently (RROC/US I think). Mine occurs at idle with the selector in gear and almost disappears in neutral. The engine is steady as a train when underway.

I bought radials primarily because of "tramlining" with bias-plies. That has gone away. The tyres/tires I have are Yokohama Avid 235-75-SR15. I would have preferred a fabric-belted tire for a softer ride, but couldn't seem to find the right one. They are slightly smaller in diameter than the 820s, but not that obvious. Speedo error is about 3mph fast at indicated 60mph. I had them mounted blackwall side out - very dignified!

Mernon
LSJF72

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, 25 November, 2007 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Mernon for that information. I certainly notice the tramlining with the current tyres, will be great to get rid of that when it's time to replace them. I'll have a look at the RROC forum re the "tremor".
Cheers, Jeff.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: