Positive earth on a cloud 2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Positive earth on a cloud 2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Paceskoski
New User
Username: forever_elegant

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2006 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,

im in the middle of coverting an old non standard radio to cd player in my cloud 2.

its basically very simple stuff -- speaker wire, battery wire, accessory wire, ground and antenna, but the unusual thing is that my car seems to have positive earth , which from what i have been reading is weird.

i believe from the technical article is that positive earth was discontinued after the wraith, and negative earth was introduced for the cloud. i have checked the battery and its polarity is correct and i believe that the negative is connected to the chassis.

what do i do, i just cant get my head around it.

Cheers

Michael

Michael Paceskoski
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2006 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ok -- i couldnt beleive my eyes.

THE + TERMINAL IS CONNECTED TO THE CHASSIS

i have recently purchased this car so plese dont blame me for connecting it like that, but the funny thing is that this car is not roadworthy but i have started it on the odd occasion and letting it run for a little while.

if the battery is in the wrong position how does the car start up. wouldnt the starter motor spin backwards.

im totally confused, if i switch the battery over is it safe to start the car?

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2006 - 03:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The dynamo and voltage regulator should be wrecked.

The Silver Cloud 2 is a negative ground chassis.

It is a fact that the engine will start and run on either polarity.

Michael Paceskoski
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2006 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks whunter, if the engine will run on either polarity does that mean i can change the battery the right way a should not do any damage to the engine and starter motor

whunter
Prolific User

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2006 - 10:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The dynamo/generator and voltage regulator should be wrecked.

Nothing else is polarity sensitive. :-)

John Kilkenny
Experienced User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2006 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is an interesting question and while I don't know much about Clouds here is a possible scenario.
If the battery is reversed the starter motor will not change direction as this would require either the field or armature windings to be reversed but not both.
The generator and voltage control will probably still work as the field current will be reversed and the voltage control is a current device and does not depend on polarity.
However you would notice that the ammeter would also be reversed and if someone has previously reversed the battery they would probably have done the same with the ammeter.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 635
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2006 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To start with check the coil terminals.
If it has been changed to "+" earth the "-" terminal will be the feed in on the coil.
If you have a scope and this has not been carried out the display will be shown reversed.
Do not get to alarmed at this stage, have had many types of this sort over the years and damage to a dynamo system has never occured.
If you would like a run down on things to do on the reversing of polarity can do.
Does the engine run smooth at all levels of speed power?

Michael Paceskoski
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2006 - 00:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys,

thanks for all your help.

i figured out that it was only the battery put in the wrong way, as when i switched on reds the ammeter showed a positive, therefore recharging instead of draining. once i reversed the battery the ammeter started working properly, therefore i believe there is no damage to the dynamo/generator and shows that it is charging. does this mean that i have no damage to the voltage regulator aswell? i personally think there is no damage.

to tell you the truth, i havent driven the car so i would not know if the power is the same. at the moment i need to get the brakes overhauled and give the engine a good tune up. i have had the car for a little over a month or so.

Cheers

Michael

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 636
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2006 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To be on the safe side with the "-" battery now correctly to ground remove the small terminal on the dynamo and connect a lead on that terminal that will reach to a live feed.
Flash the wire to the feed, this will polarize the dynamo if it has not sorted its self out.

Neville Davies
Yet to post message
Username: nev_davies

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2006 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When transistorised radios appeared in the late 60's it became a common practice to change the earth to negative to accomodate the negative body connection of the radios.As Patrick said the dynamo had to be flashed and ideally the coil changed to negative earth type as well though most garages didn't bother to do this.

whunter
Prolific User

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2006 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Michael Paceskoski

If the meter shows it is charging, you should be OK.

Have a great day.
whunter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: