S1 Hydramatic/S1 Workshop manual Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » S1 Hydramatic/S1 Workshop manual « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug M Young
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.135.84.204
Posted on Sunday, 21 November, 2004 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

{The name you entered too closely resembles the username or full name of a registered user or moderator on this board. As an unregistered user, you must either obtain an account of your own, or otherwise enter a different name. }

For some reason I got the above message when trying to post the message, so I am changing my name temporarily.

I am not certain if I should address this to you or the tech forum so shall put it in both. (While not yet a member of the RROC, I am a member of the BDC, and a number of other wheeled clubs.)

My vehicle BC4FM has a Hydramatic auto, and while the original owners handbook has some tantalising pictures of the band adjustment square headed bolts, it is silent as to adjustment for that, the throttle/box rod, and the kickdown adjustment.

I would like to acquire a workshop manual (or the relevant parts thereof) detailing how to make these adjustments. All I can find in downloadable form on the net really concerns the box as fitted to Studebakers, and something tells me this might not hit the mark (or the marque).

The symptoms I would like to modify are
1. Jerk on part or light throttle upshift from 1 to 2. It could not be described as a "slurred" upshift. Full throttle is fine and smooth.
2. Kickdown 4 to 3 is only possible at very low speeds, lower than the speeds in the handbook. It also hangs onto top longer than I feel it should when slowing under load.

The 2 to 3 change that everyone sems to have trouble with is fine.

Using the column lever for downshifts to 3rd is tedious, and to achieve this smoothly requires light or closed throttle. Otherwise, with full throttle lever operated downshifts, the vehicle feels like it is undergoing a momentary braking phase before taking off again. It is not the stuff halfshafts like. Certainly, it seems to have been a feature of the box from new, going on the road tests of the era. (I am not reminded of Schumacher's steering wheel paddle shifter when using the column lever.)

Kind regards, and gratitude for any assistance.

Doug Young

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.215
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 16:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Doug. See R.Traceys post under "Miscell" section (22/11) re the dual range 4 Speed "R-R" Hydramatic. I have had very limited experience with these transmissions but know (as do most people) that they are somewhat sensitive to throttle rod adjustment. I feel that Richard may be able to further advise in some detail. Good luck.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2005 - 12:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Doug. The manual you need is TSD 2042. Contact me if you need help. Your approach is right. Next step is to adjust linkages and then do a pressure check. If that is OK your next best action is to clean the control unit which can be removed from the side of the gearbox without removing the whole box.

John Budden
New User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2006 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
I recently acquired a copy of the Service Bulletins for the Cloud (I)
I do not know wether they are available on line but would be prepared to scan any (or all) if there is any interest.
I have a attached an Excel (Excel because people can sort themselves) list of titles, numbers, sections and dates.
Most are fairly mundane and some specific to particulalr models but some are useful.
Is there any interest?
Regards
John Budden
application/vnd.ms-excelService Bulletins Cloud List
Service Bulletin Index.xls (29.2 k)

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2006 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello John,
There certainly is interest from my part.
I try to collect as much information as possible for members of our Victorian Technical Self Help Group, of which many are Cloud/S Series owners.
Any information is always welcome.

Rob

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2006 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John and Robert,

Those scans would be treasured. If you were to scan the documents and send them to Bill, Robert or myself, we can probably put them straight into the Technical Library after optimising them a little. We have had quite some sucess, saving time and effort, by Skyping documents such as these. I know that it is a big task: just have a look at the sheer number of pages already in the technical library. There are many more documents on the way very soon too: John Richardson has burned the candles at both ends to fill the gaps in the MkVI/R-Type shelves, and the packages are almost ready to be released. I am sure that your efforts would be appreciated enormously.

RT.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 664
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2006 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

Having been responsible for scanning the TSD2476 - Shadow I Manual now on this site; I suggest the following scanning set-ups to give high-quality files:

1. Text pages: 600dpi resolution, B&W colour setting

2. Text & diagrams/photographs: 600dpi resolution, grey scale colour

3. Pages with colour: 600dpi resolution, best quality colour setting for scanner

4. Wiring diagrams: 600 dpi resolution, grey scale colour setting unless in colour then use best quality colour setting for scanner

The dream of an International Technical Archive accessible to R-R/B enthusiasts is now becoming a reality.

John Budden
New User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2006 - 15:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
This is a test run of Contents table and sect A
I have a high spoeed BW scanner at work but this is done on a HP 3 in 1using HP software to pdf.
Ignore the framing as I will redo.
The original is what looks like cyclostyled or roneod reproduction on a Rolls Royce Header and Footer Blanks.
The pages are relatively undamaged with few oils stains but there is age discolouration
I will send to post unless you suggest a (big) mail box.
Regards
John Budden

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2006 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

Richard and Bill are the key contacts for the manuals at the present time.

The roneod reproductions will probably scan best as B&W rather than grey scale and this should also help with hiding the oil stains and discolouration!! I forgot the age of these manuals and the fact there would not be any colour in them :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: