Cloud 1 Battery Makers & their model ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Cloud 1 Battery Makers & their model numbers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colin Silver
Experienced User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2020 - 12:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As with some of us, we log in when wanting info. I am guilty. But I ask this on behalf of Hilda, who is garaged out of my 5 klm limit under COVID-19 stage 4. Personally I think a visit to her should pass under the rule of caring.

On to my point. Hilda has a Century brand battery that has exceeded it's suggested lifespan and I want to get another but (as above) get a look at existing battery number or a picture. Century don't have Clouds in their website.

Repco branded batteries (they say) are made for them by Century. I'd like to avail myself of Repco's discount ending tomorrow, but if not then on another sale.

So whilst asking for quick reply,

Hilda needs a high CCA as if not started daily, makes for a hard cranking before start.

I am hoping that you good gents and ladies might start compiling brands and battery models in this thread for other owners.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3783
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2020 - 17:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Colin,

Just measure your current battery; length, width, height and location of the positive and negative terminals relative to the closest length side of the battery and a good Repco salesperson will be able to identify the equivalent battery from the Repco [Century] range.

Better still, do the measurements, take a photo of the battery top with your phone and take this with you.

Colin Silver
Experienced User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2020 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Appreciated David. But the old girl can't be reached under Melbourne's 5 klms lockdown, nor can anyone do the measurements for me. Repco's 25% off finishes tomorrow night - but I know that before years end, a store will have these sales again. No drama.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 694
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2020 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Colin, I think it is an 069 battery (UK), same as Shadow and Spirit. I use a 096 in my S1 as they are cheaper in the UK, they fit but my battery leads have been replaced with heavier duty cable and slightly longer in the battery box to accommodate the opposite terminations on the 096 battery.
Mark

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 640
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2020 - 23:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You need a 27F battery. The reason you needed the long cable is because the wrong battery is installed.
The 27F has reversd battery posts.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 695
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2020 - 02:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, the positive cable on the S1 is a single core affair with flexible joined to both ends . The joins corrode in 50 years, hence the cable was changed together with improved chassis/body links at the time I fitted an electric cooling fan , alternator, upgraded lights and wiring, ICE, and electronic ignition. The longer cable gives a wide range of battery possibilities and interchangeability with my other cars.
Mark

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2020 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation:

Battery Replacement
Group 27 batteries are used in Rolls-Royce and Bentleys from 1946 to 1980. Usually the positive post is toward the front of the car (and closest to the side of the car, as opposed to the interior of the boot/trunk) which would mean a 27F for cars with the battery on the right side [Clouds]of the car and a 27 for cars with the battery on the left side of the car [most, but not all, Shadows and Corniches]. Check the battery in your car before ordering a new one. ~ H. Krimko

Group 24 (US/Canada) or Group 72 (UK/Europe) are the correct sizes for the SZ series cars. The orientation of the terminals is the same as above, and is commonly referred to as “left positive,” which will result in the positive terminal closest to the side of the car and oriented toward the front when the battery box is on the left in the boot. These group sizes are approximately 2 inches shorter in length than Group 27 batteries, but the same width & height. ~ C. Hansen

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: