S1 detail for concours Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » S1 detail for concours « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2006 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning all

A friend of mine is restoring his 1956 S1 to concours condition, and has met with some disagreement amongst those in the know relating to under-bonnet detail. I’d appreciate your comments on the following:

a) Correct colour of the bulkhead (engine side) and underside of bonnet opening panels. Looking at photographs in various books the correct colour on the Bentley seems to be light beige. On Roll-Royce Cloud vehicles it looks slightly darker. (On Mk VI vehicles the bulkhead was unpainted, which I believe adds to the confusion)
b) What is the correct colour and coating of the upper sections of the two brake fluid reservoirs? Is it powder-coated silver? I believe it should not be painted?
c) What is the correct colour of the engine oil filler cap? Is it painted that colour?
d) What is the correct colour and material of the protective webbing where the bonnet opening panels meet the bodywork? It looks of-white to me, but some say it should be black? I have never seen black webbing on a Bentley.

I’d appreciate any advice, pictures or paint codes, especially for the bulkhead colour. I’d like to help my friend, as he is really putting a lot of effort into brining his car back to the condition it was when new.

Kind regards

KC
www.ClassicRollsSA.co.za

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2006 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well KC - my fourpence worth!.

The under-bonnet coler is the same as the bulkhead colour. It is a beige. Legend has it that it was disposal paint from WW2 and it certainly is similar as the colour tanks were painted in North Africa. The Mk VI and derivatives also used the same colour.

The metal covers on the glass brake reservoirs were apparently nickel plated bright steel. The finish was then lightly wire brushed to removed the shine. They were certainly not painted or chromed. The screws brackets etc were all the same finish.

The oil filler cap was cadium plated with the enamelled aluminium plate rivetted to it.

THe bonnet webbing was a beige colour that of the woven material which was probably jute.

John Richardson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.178.199.12
Posted on Saturday, 03 June, 2006 - 10:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello KC Saayman,

Further to my abbreviated e-mail to you at 6:15:47 pm on 1 June 2006, I confirm that I had previously posted a reply on the RROCA Forum to your posting “S1 detail for concours”. However, as it appears my Original Post has failed to appear, I now provide the full information again, as follows:-

Back around 1997 when I was conducting a Bare Chassis Up Restoration of an R-Type, I needed the Paint Codes for the Body Colours and Bulkhead/Firewall. I telephoned Rolls-Royce and discussed these Paint Codes with the knowledgeable Ian Rimmer, who not only provided the Paint Codes for the Body, but also
directed me to ICI which provided each formula. My notes of my conversation with Ian Rimmer show
his advice to me that there is No Paint Formula for the “Beige” paint used on the Bulkheads/Firewalls, as the Factory only kept a limited ready use supply and mixed batches as required, so there were Minor Variations on the cars though to the S/Cloud cars where this “Beige Colour” was used, thus it would be necessary to "Eye Match" the “Beige Colour” to an Unfaded Interior Section of the car Bulkhead/Firewall, or, if mine had already been stripped, Eye Match the “Beige Colour” to an Unfaded Interior Section of the Bulkhead/Firewall of a Good Similar Unrestored car. I understood Ian Rimmer to advise the Bulkheads/Firewalls of the early Mk.VI cars were plated, whilst the late Mk.VI, R-Type and S/Cloud cars had Bulkheads/Firewall painted “Beige with the paint batch available at the time of production.

Ian Rimmer may be contacted on e-mail address ian@rimmeril.supanet.com for confirmation of his advice to me or further information.

I have five R-type Bulkheads/Firewalls in my Spares Inventory and have checked them all to find they are basically similar. As I suspected, because I am a Computer Klutz, the photo of Two Firewalls showing One Interior and one Exterior did not upload with my Original Post, but this problem was solved by direct e-mail transmission.

I am not overly familiar with S/Clouds and trust this information assists. Always nice to see cars Restored to Original.

Johnny

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Richardson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.177.193.222
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2006 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings KC,

Perhaps the following information may be of some assistance with regard to the Correct Paint Colour for the Bulkhead/Firewall.

Back around 1997 when I was conducting a Bare Chassis Restoration of an R-Type, I wanted to ensure I matched the Original Colours of the Car and Bulkhead/Firewall. Thus I telephoned Rolls-Royce and discussed the paint Codes with the knowledgeable Ian Rimmer. Ian was kind enough to research the information and provide contact details for ICI.

Importantly, Ian advised that there was No Paint Code for the Bulkheads/Firewalls, as the Factory only kept small ready use supplies of this "beige Coloured Paint" and mixed further batches as required, thus there would be Minor Variations between cars painted with Different Batches as they were mixed. Thus Ian advised the best way to ensure a Close Match to the Original was to "Eye Match" the new paint to an Unfaded Interior section of the existing Bulkhead/Firewall, or a Good Original Bulkhead/Firewall if mine was Paint Stripped. My Painter did both and the match was excellent.

During discussions with Ian, we also discussed the Bulkheads/Firewalls of Mk.VI, R-Type and S/Cloud cars. As I understood Ian, the Early Mk.VI Bulkheads/Firewalls were Not Painted, but the later Mk.VI, the R-Type and S/Cloud cars were all painted a "beige Colour" which varied slightly according to when and by whom each small batch was mixed. Just in case my memory and notes are not as they should be, perhaps you might like to contact Ian Rimmer at the RREC/e-mail ian@rimmeril.supanet.com to check.

I have five spare unattached R-type Bulkheads/Firewalls as spares and upon checking them I find they are all very similar in Original Colour. Have photographed a couple together, showing one interior and one exterior. Hope it uploads with this Post, as I am not good with computers.

Regards,

Johnny

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: