Tyre valve Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Tyre valve « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, 07 August, 2018 - 04:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello
Recently after a drive with the SCIII when back in the garage noticed the front LH tyre valve has moved aslant under the wheel cover…removed and positioned correctly…every drive now the same issue. The cover is very tight and difficult to remove…have marked with white chalk rim and tyre…no movement…
Any ideas?
My other query is regards to the RH rear-end and if there should be undersheeting to protect the battery?
Today driving was caught in my first downpour in more than 20 years and noticed the battery was covered in water…

Trevor Pickering
Frequent User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, 07 August, 2018 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe
There is no undersheet for the battery but there is a top cover that is held down by two turnbuckles on the battery clamp rods.
Sounds like the hub cap is moving on the wheel.
Had this problem with mine and put tape on the three points on the wheel where the hub cap sits, this stops it slipping even though it may seem hard to remove
How are your other problems?

David Hughes
Frequent User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, 09 August, 2018 - 17:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe
Regarding the tyre valve.
There has been a lot of discussion on the American RR Forum regarding this issue.
Firstly, the cover (trim) is moving on the wheel, if you have radial tyres it appears that the cover touches the wheel due to the flex of the tyre wall and moving the cover. Some members suggest checking the tyre pressure is correct, alternatively fitting different tyres.
Also the fit of the cover on the wheel may need to be made tighter by hammering the attachment ring on the cover, at the three attachment lug places, this is easily done with a light ball pein hammer.
Lastly, if the above to no avail, some members suggest fitting steel valves, however that is treating the symptom not the cause.
Trust that helps.
Regards
David

felipe heuser
Frequent User

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 18:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seems my reply didn’t upload from last week…

Trevor, yes I have the top battery cover assembly (they’re rare) however mostly off since I use a trickle charger when stationary…
Firstly will exchange front wheel with another hubcap to check tightness and if not try your tape suggestion…

After the ATF mix in the engine oil and later an oil/filter change subsequently the tappet hasn’t made one clatter again…possibly, hopefully was a sludge issue…
Had the same but new Powerlite replaced as under warranty since I had a commitment that week…so far all’s running very well…

David…when you write cover do you refer to the one-piece hub cap? Mine doesn’t have a separate trim…
This has only just occurred in the last couple of months with the same tyres for years…

Trevor Pickering
Frequent User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 02:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thats good news Felipe
Did you know you can trickle charge your battery through the cigarette lighter scocket or the two pin plug socket on the dash just to the right of the steering wheel? (prefered method)
The plugs are available from the usual parts suppliers.
Gald all is well

David Hughes
Frequent User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe
The wheel cover / hub cap / wheel trim, different names for the same item, is moving on the wheel. The two likely causes are the tyres (low pressure or incorrect tyre) or the fit of the hub cap on the wheel as I mentioned previously. Change one thing at a time, that will usually reveal the culprit.
Regards
David

David Hughes
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 14:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe
I should have mentioned, when you said you marked the rim and tyre, mark the important relationship between the wheel and the "hub cap".
Regards
David}}

felipe heuser
Frequent User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2018 - 17:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Switching hubcaps seems to be the cure...no movement and tyre valve in place after drive...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: