S1 handling kit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » S1 handling kit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug Young
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.135.84.204
Posted on Thursday, 18 November, 2004 - 23:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would like to upgrade the handling of my S1 Park Ward Continental. I am aware of the Harvey Bailey kits but once iported they are quite expensive. Is there anyone in Australia making front and rear sway bars for S1/Cloud 1s? (And the Z bar can only do so much)Leads greatly appreciated.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 03:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In Sydney, Lovell's Springs will make up any spring and sway bar combination you desire, especially heavier springs to the pattern of the existing ones. That includes coil springs and leaf springs. They are not expensive and handle a huge volume of one-offs as well as stock lines.

As your car has Z-bar rear antiroll setups, they will find them most interesting indeed.

I have had excellent experiences with Lovells. They have done thousands of Rolls-Royce and Bentley jobs of all types, from resetting standing heights to upgraded springs. If your car was delivered in the UK, just the Australian-spec springs would be a great improvement for a start, and simply use a thicker grade of oil in the shock absorbers.

LOVELLS SPRINGS PTY LTD
U 6/ 25 -31 Airds Rd Minto 2566

(02) 9820 6800
Fax (02) 9820 6788
Internet www.lovells.com.au

Jason Watson
Experienced User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2023 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just revitalising a thread that is timeless.

Wondering if anyone has fitted a performance upgrade of sway bars and how was it.

Am I reading the manual wrong that a front sway bar and rear Z bar are OE fitments. The performance package includes a rear bar and I presume the deletion of the Z bar.

Can anyone provide explanation on know how this is fitted?

I also see the front OE sway bar is 20mm thick. I presume a performance one is thicker or made from harder steel. Again looking for feedback. The difference in cost between an OE bar and performance bar is rather large.

I'd be happy to talk to Lovells for a group buy if there is interest.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4231
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2023 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jason,

Christopher Carnley has asked me to post the following images on his behalf for you.

He has also offered to discuss your situation with you direct and I have sent you a personal message with his contact details at his request.

1) Rusty whining differential - before,

2) Groove worn by loose spun bearing,

3) Finished

4) 13:38 Continental gears, upper. 12:40 standard ratio lower. Old factory stock showing red lead preservative on teeth along with wax on shafts.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 852
Posted on Thursday, 05 October, 2023 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason, FS supply the Harvey Bailey handling kit

https://www.flyingspares.com/harvey-bailey-handling-kit-silver-cloud-bentley-s-1-2-3-hbekcl.html

Jason Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, 05 October, 2023 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ta Mark, also looking at the Harvey Bailey web site there is a bit involved to add a rear bar.

Hard to tell as FS is short on bits and HB mention various manufactures so who knows what's displayed.

Can anyone comment on the modifications performance? The price should reflect serious stability and improvement.

ThomasSchindler
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 95.91.249.88
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2023 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason,
I fitted the FS handling kit about ten years ago. In my opinion it is a great upgrade.
The picture on the FS website shows all the parts needed.
The front sway bar is just thicker.
The rear one is an addition to the original Z bar. It is fixed to new rear spring plates and brackets on the damper mountings. I will try to add some pictures.
Regards
Thomas

Thomas, if you email your pictures to me at: drh14434@yahoo.com.au - I will post them in this post on your behalf with appropriate acknowledgement.

David

Jason Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, 25 October, 2023 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thomas, please do. Be interesting and great to see how it all fits.
Would it be possible to get a measurement on the linkage length?

Having never owned an S I can't relate to the body roll, but I have owned 60s Holdens so I know all about it. Radial tyres can only do so much.

The link here at 22.50 suggest Harry Grills built in steering vagueness called the sneeze factor. So you don't leave the road if you happen to. Fair enough. I live on a mountain with lots of 60kmh windy roads. Be nice to contain some of the body roll and address a bit of handling if possible.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN6VMv3Jxa0

David Gore

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Thursday, 26 October, 2023 - 19:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thomas Schindler has forwarded the following photos of the Flying Spares handling kit as installed for me to post on his behalf:

Thank you Thomas for providing these for our participants and readers for this thread.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, 27 October, 2023 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's that link again.
You have a double "http" in yours Jason "can't reach this page"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN6VMv3Jxa0

Jason Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, 27 October, 2023 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Thomas, David. And Jeff.

Interesting to see hose clamps used to stop sideways slipping of the bar. I imagine as it seats rubber it can't be much. I reckon a fair washer welded in the correct spot would have looked a little better.

David, can I trouble you again, and I do like you'r hoist.
The front OE bar is 20mm, if you don't mind can you measure the thickness of your front and rear bars please. I'm guessing 22 and 18.

David Gore

Post Number: 4235
Posted on Friday, 27 October, 2023 - 16:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason,

The hoist is owned by Thomas Schlinder who kindly forwarded his photographs to be shared with us - I would have had appreciated having this hoist when DRH14434 was undergoing rejuvenation in my garage and I had the rely on a mobile hydraulic floor jack and vehicle stands to remove the transmission for bench overhaul.

Removing the T400 transmission became a real test in this situation especially when my floor jack tipped sideways when lowering the complete transmission for necessary bench repairs.

Luckily, no damage eventuated and the transmission overhaul was successfully completed and refitted to the vehicle.

Jason Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, 27 October, 2023 - 19:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oops, sorry David, meant to say Thomas.

I know how you feel though to some degree. As a youngster with dad I removed a couple transmissions with a trolly jack and floor stands. Bit scary really if the thing gets away on you, comes down with a hell of a thud.

Then lifting the auto and the block (separated) off the truck bringing home the S was no easy feat. Surprised none of us got a hernia from it lol. Man they are heavy.

I am hoping by having a chassis to work with, fitting the motor, running gear, suspension, diffs etc with lots of access will make life easier. Lowering the body onto it will have its own issues though.

ThomasSchindler
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 95.91.235.250
Posted on Tuesday, 31 October, 2023 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason,

I measured the bars: The front one is 25 mm and the rear 19mm.

Regarding the hose clamps. They came with the kit and yes they look terribly unprofessional. Ever since I fitted them (10 years ago) I feel like I should replace them by something more sturdy.

The 4 post hoist is worth its weight in gold. I just replaced the bushes of the rear springs. Wouldn’t be able to do that without it…

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: