Turn Signal Stalk (61 Cloud) Removal... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Turn Signal Stalk (61 Cloud) Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, 08 March, 2018 - 15:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is removing the turn signal stalk assembly difficult on a RHD 61 Cloud? Any instructions would be helpful. I tried to find the procedure in the factory workshop manual without luck.

Thnx.

Richard

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, 09 March, 2018 - 23:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

I have done it myself on my own RHD 61 Cloud, but it was part of a column removal, so I don't quite recall the minimum required just to remove the signal stalk assembly. I do know the quadrant selector body had to come off, and possibly the damper switch as well, but I will have to see if I can find some information and get back to you.

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, 10 March, 2018 - 01:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David. The reason I have to remove mine on my 61 RHD (like your car) is the turn signal stalk is only about 2" long (the chrome stalk)! I don't think it should be that way! Is yours the regular length?

Appreciate any help!

Richard

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2018 - 14:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did remove the turn signal stalk assembly a few days ago. Very simple in that you remove the 2 screws under the black cover which is around the steering column and covers the stalk mechanism. The stalk assembly is held on to the steering column with a "u shape" bracket. Simply remove the 2 screws holding the bracket to remove the stalk.

Richard

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2018 - 15:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,
Would you believe I was still searching for the turn signal stalk removal details as recently as midnight last night, but to no avail, so I'm pleased you removed it anyway. I have had my own off but couldn't remember if the quadrant housing needed removal first.

Does yours have 3 wires or 5 wires attached? Five wires is for the stalk with headlight flasher. Introcar had a detail on the parts page with part numbers. Does your stalk have the plastic piece on the end? It should be the same type of finish as the gear selector lever and knob although the plastic part is an elegant curved tapered item.

It should also have a small bend in the stalk. I wonder if someone thought it was accidentally bent and broke it attempting to straighten it out. My youngest son used to occasionally play with the steering wheel and stalk when he was 2, and despite my supervision, the assembly still had a a little rough treatment, but nothing ever broke.

Regards David.

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 13:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Mine has 5 wires. The wires run inside a rather small tube inside the column to the dash.

I decided not to disturb the wiring down the tube. Instead, I cut/soldered the wires at the stalk assembly itself. It was a tight situation but everything works perfectly. I just didn't want to disturb 57 year old wires!

PS Yes, the "new" stalk has the black plastic end.

Richard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: