Slotted flat head cap pointed screws Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Slotted flat head cap pointed screws « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

felipe heuser
Frequent User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A relatively simple task has failed...

Last week removed both front seat arm rests for miner restorations and replaced (with a bit of fumbling) the eight screws so not to misplace them.
Today I must have spent an hour and a half trying to re-fix the screws with arm rests and only succeeded with two…

I believe a detached nut is behind the leather covering and screws are pointed, hence used a pointed tool to try and centre them, however will not thread or turns in off-centre… eventually discouraged gave up!

Not a terribly clever design…any magic to this problem?

David Balfour
Prolific User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, 10 June, 2019 - 23:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Felipe,

That does sound like a trap indeed. Is the screw shown here?

Seat

felipe heuser
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, 11 June, 2019 - 17:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David...yes I also found this in the parts catalogue and it must be the number 81 bracket which is probably where the loose nuts are sandwiched and apparently riveted (89) to the frame making it even more difficult to remove if I decide to have the leather covering removed to access them. Why on earth they were designed this way is mind-boggling. Even if I were to go for the involved process of removing the leather covering how would I keep the nut(s) in place to then glue trim back in place to find the nut has moved?

Richard Gray
New User
Username: mooney1el

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 11 June, 2019 - 21:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe - Could you find one nut with an awl, or possible two with a pair of awls, then install one of the screws and tighten thus holding the alignment. Remove an awl and install that screw etc.

I am an old guy and back in the day as a youth hung around (worked) in an upholstery shop and that is what we would do to find blind fasteners.

Richard

felipe heuser
Frequent User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2019 - 00:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes have made an effort on all six remaining fasteners with a thin screwdriver and will irrespectively tap on the solid bracket face or proceed completely to the back of the seat frame, whereas then attempting to centre the ‘unseen’ nut to the middle, however unknown if the nut has either slid out of place completely or again after positioning armrest bracket moves out of place, consequently hindering thread engagement…

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2019 - 00:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Removed LH trim and found an interesting scenario with one of four brackets missing however with a caged nut behind the wood trimming showing two rivets… it seems someone has replaced the other three with aftermarket brackets…which all have stripped nut threads…I suppose one could either rethread nuts or make new brackets and nuts…but what about the caged nut which would require disassembling the seat and is not an option, or new bracket nut with a shorter screw bolt ?

bracketbracket

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: