Missing Plaques Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Missing Plaques « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Balfour
Experienced User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2016 - 18:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Until recently I wondered what the small tapped hole was doing in the bulkhead of SZD471 my SCII. The other day I spotted another 3 holes (all filled) and realised that the Jack Barclay dealer plaque that I have seen occasionally fitted to other cars was likely the missing culprit. It would have been fitted by Jack Barclay's staff at the time of delivery around Jan 1962. If you have a car with such a plaque from around then, I would be most grateful for a hi res image of the dealer plaque. Perhaps I can have a replica made.

I do still have a Jack Barclay plate on the LHF door sill, and on the inside of the glovebox lid. The original dealer plaque and the small metal body badge that is normally affixed to the side of the bulkhead and visible with the left hand side bonnet open were likely removed during a repaint in different colours in the 1980’s, and never re-installed. I have the history book of SZD471 from the Hunt House so do have ready access to the numbers.

If someone can send me an image of the simple body plaque and confirm if it is indeed the body number I can get a matching reproduction made and stamped using the same font and detail from the history book. You can still make out the outline in the paint of the original, and the holes are still there. The body number is fortunately not used as a vehicle identifier, so I can see no issue in having a reproduction of my original made.

The chassis plaque is of course present on the firewall as are all other identifiers. I'll post some photos of the issue once the car is back from the transmission guy. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, 25 September, 2016 - 20:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

I have attached two photographs of the Jack Barclay plate and the body number label from our 1958 Cloud 1. Both photos were taken before the restoration so the plates are shown "as found". The body numbers are stamped into a piece of soft aluminium and the Barclay plate is a thin aluminium plate with the letters punched out from the back so they are slightly raised. Both plates are fixed to the car with small self-tapping slot head screws.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,
Chris

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, 25 September, 2016 - 20:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Second photo attached. Missed off first post for some reason.

Chris

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, 26 September, 2016 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Chris for posting those images. Absolutely fantastic! I was not expecting a response so fast. I will make a negative of the plaque in AutoCAD, until I get the layout right. I think it should be possible of recreating the 3D effect by creating a relief. I note with interest that the graphic artist used the wrong font size for the first 3 letters of BATTERSEA on the last line. I would assume that at some point- maybe the next batch, that was fixed, but who knows. I'll have to decide on whether to replicate the error or not. Nonetheless, brilliant effort put in by you Chris. Many many thanks. Where are you located by the way?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Monday, 26 September, 2016 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Given the age of the vehicle, it may be possible the mixed font of the telephone number was deliberate to give the geographic code for anyone calling long-distance in the UK i.e. the actual phone number was BAT 6444.

Owners from this period would identify the number from experience - I do not think a mis-struck vehicle plate would have been installed by Jack Barclay.

I may be wrong but I suspect the above was the reason for the type size variation.

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, 26 September, 2016 - 21:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well David, You are absolutely correct! It is not an error, and is as plain as the nose on your face once pointed out. Well spotted!

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, 26 September, 2016 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
So pleased the photos were useful. I am based in Nottingham UK.
Kind regards,
Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: