Replacing bleed nipples on Cloud 1 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Replacing bleed nipples on Cloud 1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2011 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,

I am rebuilding the brakes on a 1958 Cloud 1 and want to replace all the bleed nipples as they are very corroded. They are the original type with spherical seats with a ball bearing seal. I have managed to remove them all without snapping them. I have been advised that this style of bleed nipple is no longer available and that I can substitute the standard type with the conical seal. This does not ring true with me as surely, the conical base of the nipple will not seal aginst the spherical seating in the wheel cylinder unless it is tightened down very tight. Does anyone have any experience of this and can they confirm whether or not my reservations are warranted ? Any advice or comments would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Chris

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2011 - 21:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No problem Chris the conventional ones work perfectly without the hastle of losing your balls. I pop a bit of steel wool in the threaded hole and whizz it aroud with an electric drill. Wash the muck out with brake cleaner. Then have a good look at the seat, if badly pitted it can be smoothed with the juditious use of a drill bit minding that the thread is not damaged in the process!

Finally run a bottoming tap into the hole to clean the threads up and give it another squirt with the cleaner. Subsequent bleeding will blow out any detritus that may have slipped into the system. Don't forget to fit nipple caps!

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, 14 March, 2011 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill,
Thanks for the detailed reply. I couldn't visualise the conical tip of the nipple sealing with the spherical seat in the wheel cylinder but from your explanation, it clearly does. I will give it a go.
Kind regards,
Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: