Whats this springy thing for? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Whats this springy thing for? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Experienced User
Username: mark_anson

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2009 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks, As you know by my previous posts I am stripping my car down ready for bead blasting and paint. Whilst removing the dashboard I came across two spring clips under the dash/window mount. They look like something used for holding a map or paper. There is one each side of the dash and I have no idea what they are for. They don't seem to be holding anything in or up and I can find no mention of them in the manual. Can anyone shed any light please? Just curious. Thanks Mark

Ron Lewis
New User
Username: great48

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2009 - 22:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Mark:
Sounds like they are the spring loaded retaining clips for the electric demister element. As the air to demist the windscreen passed over the element it was heated on its way through. Mine, a 1947 Mark VI, only had one element fitted (driver's side, of course) so don't know if a second one was originally supplied for the passenger side as well, or whether the passenger side element was optional, or if the second clip was fitted to cater for LHD export cars.
Hopefully, someone can throw some more light on both our queries.
Regards, Ron Lewis

Mark Anson
Experienced User
Username: mark_anson

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2009 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Ron you are correct. I finally removed the dash and could clearly see the air vents to the screen. My car does not have heaters fitted so the factory had fitted blanks over the holes the heater elements went in. I have cut these spring holders away now as they made the dash removal hard with the steering wheel still in place. I don't want my re varnished dash damaged when refitting. Thanks Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: