Export Fan Pulley Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Export Fan Pulley « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: c220-239-238-97.randw1.nsw.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Wednesday, 02 May, 2007 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,

Had a conversation yesterday with a fellow who says he can cast up a fan pulley for me. John Vawser has a firm as well, but they want $500+ gst for the job. All I need is a spare pulley to act as the pattern. (pulley will remain unharmed!) Does anyone have a spare small diameter fan pulley for a MK VI that they are not using for a month or so? If so that would be great! You can contact me here or on 0407 147 234.

Cheers

Marty

(Message approved by david_gore)

Laurie Fox
Experienced User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, 03 May, 2007 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are two versions of the small pulley. One as fitted to the F series and earlier and the other as fitted to the G series onwards. The differences concern the way the pulley fits on to the adapter on the pump shaft and the way the fan bolts on. Does your water pump adapter have four 1/4 in holes with no threads or does if have four holes tapped 1/4 in BSF? Likewise does your fan have plain or tapped holes?

Regards

Laurie

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: c220-239-238-97.randw1.nsw.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2007 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Laurie,

My fan has no threads, and the bolts thread into the water pump boss.

Cheers

Marty

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2007 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Marty,

If all else fails, I have a spare loose in Canberra assuming that the Oz R-Type is the same. It sounds so. I would have to ask my dad to ship it, but I do need it back.

RT.

marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: c211-30-84-138.carlnfd3.nsw.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Saturday, 05 May, 2007 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

That would be great. Will be in touch.

Cheers

Marty

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: c211-30-84-138.carlnfd3.nsw.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2007 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill Coburn,

Thought I had your email addy, seems I don't. My fan pulley measures approx. 7 1/2 inches in diameter.

Cheers

Marty

Martin Cutler
Experienced User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 20 February, 2008 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi Guys,

Just an update, I have found a guy to make the pulley, he has quoted me $260, should be ready in a day or 2. I will keep you all posted on how it goes. If anybody else is then interested, I can forward on his details.

Cheers

Marty

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2008 - 10:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys, The first pulley has been produced, and fitted to a Silver Dawn. The car was overheating in traffic. When left idling for an hour, the car only got up to 83 degrees, measured in the header tank. The day before, it was 93 degrees with the standard pulley. The price has gone up to $300, and the next three being made are for my cars, although the fellow did say the price of the steel was going up as well.

As an aside, I notice that Chirs Gillings had written something on the "Am I crazy" thread, but it hasn't shown up. Is the thread getting too long?

Cheers

Marty

Laurie Fox
Experienced User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2008 - 11:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It sounds a bit expensive but you need a big chunk of steel bar to produce a complete pulley and you make a lot of swarf. I converted a small pulley used with the early adapter using a much smaller steel disk bolted on with a ring of 12 2BA bolts. You need to be careful in getting everything really concentric to within 0.001" or less with proper registers for each part. The pulley groove is about 1/16th inch aft of where it should be relative to the adapter but I decided that that was close enough. All done on a 3 1/2" lathe and not much swarf.

Laurie

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2008 - 13:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did contribute something to that thread but discovered shortly after that I had simply repeated some earlier information, so I deleted my post. You can delete or edit your own posts within thirty minutes of posting, just by clicking on the little logos at the top right of each post.

Forum threads can go on forever (and sometimes seem to); there is no real limit on their size.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: