Starter dog removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Starter dog removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David John Stacey
New User
Username: staceyd142

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 18 January, 2020 - 01:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cylinder head finally free and pistons out with rings in many pieces. Today’s problem is stubborn starter dog/pulley nut. Lock washer off, crank wedged and socket and long bar on the nut but no joy. Any top tips? My long bar is bending!

Thanks

Jeff Martin
New User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 18 January, 2020 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If memory serves me what you need is called a "slogger" bar. It's basically a big hunk of thick heavy steel where one end is made to fit the nut with very close tolerance.
You load the bar up with your arm to keep it tight on the nut and whack the end with a 5 lb. hammer.

Jeff Martin
New User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 18 January, 2020 - 09:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Contact Kelly Opfar at British Tools Works, he should be able to help.

https://www.britishtoolworks.com/shop#!

David John Stacey
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 18 January, 2020 - 18:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeff,

have borrowed an impact gun which I’ll try later, otherwise I’ll get a stiffer bar and whack it. I had a scaffold pole on my long bar but it was having none of it. It did cross my mind that it might be a L/H thread but I can’t think why it would be.

Jeff Martin
New User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, 19 January, 2020 - 04:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be carful with the impact gun not to damage the nut.
It was put on with the slogger bar, that's why it won't come loose in the usual manor.
If you use the stiffer bar, put a weight out on the end and load the nut, that will help, but the bar has to be very stiff.
Also, when locking the crank up, do it near the nut, not at the end of the crank.
And yes, it's just a right hand thread _ righty tighty, left loosey.

Christopher Carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.156.245.251
Posted on Sunday, 19 January, 2020 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try the (very budget) Clarke mains power impact ratchet with both hands, it will come straight off.
I use one to get the pesky big nuts off in the differentials and they can be very flogged up.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David John Stacey
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 19 January, 2020 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks both,

borrowed impact gun didn’t shift it either so have ordered a slogger which will hopefully do the trick.

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, 19 January, 2020 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

May I aslo suggest a bit of heat applied to the nut will help.

David John Stacey
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 20 January, 2020 - 02:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Trevor,

tried that when I was using my long bar on the socket but no joy.

David John Stacey
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 21 January, 2020 - 23:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Slogger worked a treat, crank out, onwards and upwards!

Jeff Martin
New User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 22 January, 2020 - 10:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's great to hear, there was another post about your problem elsewhere and I couldn't find it _ probably on another forum. Same situation, tried everything and the slogger bar worked.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: