Valve Stem Seals. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Valve Stem Seals. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, 03 December, 2005 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is my belief that the position of the seals should be as stated on this forum on top of the valve guide by what ever means.
Whowever i have read elswhere that seals have been located below the collette retaining plate.
Can this imformation be correct?
A sure way of oil leakage through the guides with the carbon build up on the "IN" valves i would have thought!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 925
Posted on Saturday, 03 December, 2005 - 19:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Mushroom type deflector aka seal sits below the collett on the stem, and acts as an umbrella to shield the top of the valve stem from oil spray and leakage past the collets. These are widely used, for example on Chrysler Valiants in Oz. Holdens place an o-ring squashed under the collets to serve the same purpose as the silicone on a Rolls-Royce as shown above as RR forgot the o-ring. Many a Holden burns too much oil if the o-ring is misplaced or forgotten.

The stem control seal is something else and the best solution. That's for later R-R, Valiants and Holdens alike, and a regular retrofit for earlier motors.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, 03 December, 2005 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard.I have noticed that some BMC Leyland cars with the "o" rings fitted still used oil due to the oil running off the valve springs onto the valve stem with no guide seal under certain overrun speeds with a sudden puff of blue smoke.
I wanted to clarify that some post war cars were not fitted with the guide seal just with the "o" ring.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 926
Posted on Saturday, 03 December, 2005 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are Permaseal brand mushroom "seals" as fitted unsuccessfully to Valiants and Falcons in the 1970s. They were also retrofitted to Holdens unsuccessfully.

The double valve springs on postwar Crewe 6-cylinder motors dictate that there is not enough space to fit them anyhow. They move up and down with the valve, and act as an umbrella for the valve guides.

If you're wondering why I have a set hanging around here, I asked a mate in Canberra to send a set of Crane Cams-style seals for a Valiant Hemi so I could use them on the Silver Dawn. Hemis have the same valve stem diameter. He mistakenly sent me these useless ones for a Valiant slant 6, so I bought the Crane Cams ones from the USA instead as I had had very good experiences with them anyhow.

RT.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2005 - 19:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard yes they are usless as are the "o" rings. To my mind it is do as you have done.
However the only thing that bugs me is the guide having no lubrication at all.
The engine oil mist will not get past the new set up.
Even the [self lube] softer Bronze guides will wear as they have no lead propertys for the lubrication as it was the case with leaded fuel being used years ago.
Would it be an idea to have a discrete upper cylinder oiler feeding the inlet venturi for limited lube.
Have read else where that RR had a tool to hold the valves, yes but unknown to some so called experts they used themselves a cylinder leakage tester.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 564
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2005 - 12:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat
Could you explain your last sentence please. The only valve 'holding' tool I have seen is that used on the in line sixes.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, 06 December, 2005 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill can you remember the whistle for getting TDC. In this position the the crank is locked.
The whistle is removed and the cylinder is pressurized holding the valves in place.
I seem to think i delt with it somewhere on the forum with regard to a SS.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, 06 December, 2005 - 07:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Woops Bill i see what you mean,Experts sorry it is not directed to anyone here.
Reading elswhere some things that need to be dismantled and corrected!
Blame it on my ancesters.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 565
Posted on Tuesday, 06 December, 2005 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not to worry Pat. My valve holding 'technique' is to get the piston to TDC, wedge the flywheel with some bits of pine, screw in an adapter into the plug hole and put in about 100psi of compressed air. Works well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: