Cage nut removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Cage nut removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Watson
Frequent User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am trying to remove a part from my Bentley MKVI that is held on by machine screws and captive or cage nuts. Needless to say that while turning the screws the cage nuts are happily spinning inside their cages. What is the best way to deal with this?
Thanks.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 553
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

What is the part?

Generally speaking, a little upward pressure on the fastener to tighten the caged nut against the material as you turn it sometimes helps, but a good answer would require the identity of the offending part.

Graham Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross,
In the boot where the filler pipe passes through on its way to the tank there is a felt covering where it passes through the trunk floor. The part in question is ovalish sort of a ring that is used to secure the felt down. The cage nuts are on the underside of the trunk floor. Instead of bolts machine screws were used so I have a feeling this is not going to be pretty...

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

If you can wait until Saturday, I'll be at Everett's junk yard in the morning and I could probably stop over and take a look. I'm sure I still have your address from the brochure thing.

Let me know.

Graham Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 21:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross thanks for the offer but I will not be around this Saturday. However I will try the squeeze the cage approach and maybe it will work although I can bet the heads on the machine screws will not be up to the task.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Maybe next time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: