Mystery pipe Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mystery pipe « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Watson
Frequent User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While working the boot area of my MKVI I went to remove the filler pipe and found a very small diameter pipe attached to the filler pipe just on the inside of the body. The pipe appears to drop down underneath the car and at that point I had to stop for the day. My parts list book does not show this pipe on the drawings. Can't get back to the car right now and this is driving me crazy. Anyone know what this is?
Thanks.

David Hughes
Frequent User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham
Not familiar specifically with the MKVI, this pipe serves 2 purposes,(1) serves to prevent an overflow when filling the tank (2)vents the tank to prevent a vacuum forming as the tank empties whilst driving.
Most cars of that era had a similar (if not the same) arrangement.
Trust that helps.
Regards
David

Graham Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David, I will have some time today to try and follow it. I like the anti-vacuum idea as the pipe diameter is too small for an overflow.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 10:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is the breather pipe for the tank. I hadn't noticed that it's not in the parts list. You will probable find it is blocked at the exit, at the rear end of the right chassis leg. There should be a short length of hose at the end taking it into the chassis On earlier cars it finished further up the leg near the axle.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 10:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The pipe joins the fitting on top of the left rail, up through the crossmember and you can just make out the run down the top inside edge of the right side chassis

Graham Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the great picture Carl! It really answers my other question.
It shows me a lot of good information.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: