Mk VI Rubber door seals - Were to buy... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mk VI Rubber door seals - Were to buy in the UK? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, 14 March, 2005 - 05:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
I am looking for new door seals for my Mk VI after repainting the car. The seals fit in a channel and have a profile end on something that looks like half a semicircle.
I found this chap, perhaps people from Aus know him?
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ausrov/BENTLEY%201949-52%20MK%206.htm
Im not to sure what the exact part number is for this rubber seal. Does anybody know of a supplier here in the UK? If you do could you please pass the information on.

Many thanks
Mark Anson

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, 14 March, 2005 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Introcar in West London sell it at just £2.45/metre, RB4357, and others are offering the same seals at a similar price (Flying Spares etc).

It is more like an A-section when new, and I have replaced all mine.

RT.

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, 14 March, 2005 - 07:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank You Richard.
I have not phoned anyone yet...I usually do and end up buying from the wrong company. I thought this time I would get advice first. The car has cost me so much money already.
Cheers Mark

Ashley James
New User
Username: ashley_james

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

www.vintagessupplies.co.uk

Thir online catalogue shows a section through the seals they sell and the one you want looks like an A with the top bit filled in.

Alternatively you could ask Eric Healey who is the main man for spares for these cars after jack Barclay www.healeybros.co.uk

www.jackbarclayparts.co.uk

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2005 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks folks, I got it from Intro car in the end. They matched Flying spares price as they did not have the rubber in stock. Many thanks for your help. I hope to get some pictures of my car on the site when finished.
Cheers Mark

Ashley James
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2005 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I should have said www.vintagesupplies.com
They are the company that most of the restorers use

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2005 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark Remember there is a special way to fit the seal in the boot if you have a short boot!

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is the special way Bill? I am still trying to work out how to fit the trim! As Ashley said it is like a letter A with the "hole" filled in. This looks nothing like the rubber trim I removed off my car. That trim had a flat edge you could glue and just push into place. This trim goes on the body shell itself in a small Chanel. Does the trim thats arrived from Introcar go elsewere and this is why I cant understand how it fixes? The previous owner was a bit of a bodge merchant so I would not be surprised if this rubber I removed came off a fish tank!!
Cheers Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 642
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 05:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

The door seals are A-shaped, about 1cm high. The apex is fairly sharp to find a seal with the minimum pressure. They fit into a channel about 8mm wide in the body with glue. The channel is around the innermost part of the door jambs. Cut them oversize, ease them in with a narrow paint scraper on each side. Finally retrim and glue the ends in place. Take your time.

There is no seal on the door assembly itself. See below the A-pillar of my car, where the quarter vent closes. Sorry about the resolution, but you should get the idea. You will see from right to left, the windscreen surround, the RHS A-pillar, seal at the left running down the pillar, the silver knob on the end of the auto transmission gear lever, and a child's hand on the steering wheel.

The boot has a special seal on the R-Type, but I think that a MkVI uses the A-section door seal again. Ashley will surely clarify this.

RT.

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 08:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mmmm...does this mean I lay the "A" on its side and glue that flat bit to the body? The previous seal was a quarter semicircle and one of the flats was glued down leaving the curved bit on the outside for the door to push up against.

Say I was stood at the drivers door and the horizontal seal that runs along the roof...then down the door pillar was facing me, and presuming you do glue one of the "A" s flats...would I have the slopes outer edge (i.e the bit that now sticks out the most or the bottom leg of the A) on the bottom or the top?
Confused!!!! I am...
Hope this makes sense.
Cheers Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 643
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A view from above, looking down over the front of the friver's door.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Bentley Bulletin number 47 of 3 May 1948 details the introduction of the new seal. Diagrams will follow. The essence of the Bulletin is that it is held in place by contact adhesive (actually Bostik 'C' number 252 which we mere colonials are supposed to know the equivalent here)the adhesive is to be applied to both surfaces and that a liberal quantity enters the groove in the base of the seal. When the stuff is tacky start at the top of the top of the 'B' post with a mitre joint and work down ensuring that the apex of the seal lies in a straight line. Another mitre joint is required at the bottom of the 'B' pillar. Watch the area above the top hinge where the door tends to push the seal sideways in which case shave a bit off the base before you stick it down properly. The base of the boot lid is the area I was referring to which is detailed in the diagram. If you don't fit it this way, the lid wont close properly!

This is the 'new' seal normally applied

The original seal

The special lower edge of the boot lid fitting

The last diagram

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll try again

The new seal properly installed

new seal properly installed

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2005 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW!!! Thanks Bill & Richard....great drawings.
I was wondering why the new seal on the door frame (not the boot) is only glued down on the two little rubber legs shown so well in the last picture. I thought a large flat surface like a side would have been better...hence my concern for fitting them correctly. Does the gap in between these legs serve a purpose?
Thank you for the info about the boot. I would have been a little upset covering all the seal in the wrong places in glue...its the little touches that make the car look great, I want to try and make these as good as possible.
Cheers for all your hard work answering this one.
Mark Anson

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2005 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark the little slot underneath is apparently to hold the glue!!

Stephe Boddice
New User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2005 - 10:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or the water if you don't do it properly?
SB

Ashley James
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2005 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also they used to cut off the legs of the slot if the door did not shut properly. The rubber varies in "springyness" and you need it as soft as possible.

Some stick them with super glue but I use the usual Dunlop type stuff.

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks folks...I plan on using Evo Stick rubber Contact adhesive. It might not stick but who cares because I will be high as a kite!

It will be fine...its the "good stuff". You have to ask at the checkout in B&Q for it, they keep it under the counter!!! It was like asking for a naughty video in a seedy Soho sex shop....not that I know what this is like...honnest officer

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: