Braided wiring (or not!) and rubber t... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Braided wiring (or not!) and rubber terminal caps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Senior
New User
Username: jamess

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 00:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,
over the years I've seen several articles and websites where owners of Phantoms and Wraiths lovingly rewire their cars using braided wire to replicate the original. Looking in the fuse box of our 1949 Silver Wraith I must confess I was a little disappointed to discover normal un-braided wire!
Purely out of interest (as I'm not currently planning a rewire), is this original, and if so, when did RR stop using braided wire?

I only took note of this as I was actually assessing the condition of the rubber terminal caps. These have all become gummy and are falling apart. I know that there were some on the starter switch, but other than on all the condensers I can't see any others. What else might have had them on originally? The Battery, Dynamo, Starter?

With regards to the condenser caps, which are all over the show, does anyone know of a supplier of these? The wire is around 3mm diameter and all I can find on the internet is terminal caps for 6mm diameter upwards. Pics below.

Many thanks,
James

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: