Quick lift window regulator Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Quick lift window regulator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Watson
New User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 15 January, 2017 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,
On my MKVI the driver's door has a quick lift window regulator. I notice a lot of travel on the handle before the glass starts to lift. Is this normal? If not is there any way to rebuild it?
Thanks

Martin Webster
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 103.241.140.82
Posted on Sunday, 15 January, 2017 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, I had exactly the same problem on my HJM B88HR. It necessitated removing the door cards and the metal shield under that and removing the regulator mechanism. It's a bit of a palaver to remove. The quick lift mechanism gear teeth need to be recut and you may find that due to years of use that the attachments are loose too. I will try to locate some photos if you are interested.
Martin

(Message approved by david_gore)

Chris Gillings
Prolific User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, 16 January, 2017 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This may help a bit.
application/pdfThe Single Throw Window Winder
5-12 Praeclarum 6177-6180.pdf (337.5 k)

Graham Watson
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Martin and Chris,

Martin, if you could find some photos that would be great.

Chris, That is super article am leaving on a trip right now and printing it out to take with me!
Cheers
Graham

Martin Webster
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.151.66.155
Posted on Wednesday, 18 January, 2017 - 21:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, I have looked at the Praeclarum article that Chris provided and my window lifter is completely different . It was fitted by HJM and I think that as it had to be fitted to the aluminium and wooden frame within the door, it's dimensions were somewhat different. I will attempt to post the images later.
Martin

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, 19 January, 2017 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin...
My first MkVI Bentley had the same mechanism as in the article. Both mine and that in the article are for the standard steel body and since yours is coachbuilt may vary although the theory of operation is still likely the same or very similar and given that they are a simple mechanism without any electrical gizmos to complicate matters, you will probably find that upon removal, observation, and necessary disassembly, the problem will become quite apparent and will most likely be either wear in the components or a wear induced failure of some sort. Mine had already worn out after a mere 20 years of occcasional use over 50,000 miles and so, unlike other components in the basically "can last essentially forever with care and lubrication" EPW models, the winder mechanism is apparently prone to failure relatively early on in that progression of events. As said, a close look will likely tell all.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, 19 January, 2017 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin,
I think Christian is right and once I pull it apart I will see where the trouble is. Going to try to get to it this weekend. Will post some pictures if I find anything interesting.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I pulled the lifter out and found that the plate that was broken in the Pareclarum article was not broken but the square hole in it has rounded out.
I will attach a picture. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Also in the Pareclarum article I noticed there was some sort of insert in the square hole. I did not find any insert or evidence of one when I took apart the lifter.
As always many thanks for the advice.
Cheers

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 01:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am going to try and repair by filling and re-squaring the center hole. If that fails will get a new part made up. Chris from Flying Spares sent me an email that they have a used one, thought I would pass that along if anyone is interested.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham...
I would propose that the insert from the article was probably a workaround fix for the problem that you are having, that is, it was not original but resulted from the attempt to fill in and square the hole. You might try something similar.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I tried filling and re-squaring the hole and the compound I used to fill it with (JB Weld) was not up to the task. Is it possible to weld this type of metal? I am reluctant to press a square tube into the part as I am afraid I will fracture it.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 12:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Prepare your square insert from copper such that its ID is a slip fit on the OD of the square winder drive stub. Open the hole in the winder mechanism base and square it up such that the ID is a tight fit on the OD of the insert. If necessary, slot one corner of the insert so that it can reduce in OD slightly (like a split pin would) when lightly pressed/inserted into the base. Epoxy into position. Done

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Christian I will try that approach.

CHRISTOPHER
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.176.214.33
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All these repair products are far too brittle in use, as are the super glues and bearing retaining fluids, outside their static parameters.
The mechanism (and materials) was never up to the job, and many such were replaced by the conventional wind up type in the 1950,s

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christopher,
I know, why pot metal in the first place? I see that the quick lift disappears on the R type.
If the copper bush attempt fails I am going to find a machine shop to make a new plate.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: