Silver Dawn Inspection Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Silver Dawn Inspection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Jones
Experienced User
Username: carl888

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With regards to purchase, is there any area of a Silver Dawn, specifically the body, that warrants a close inspection? Yes I know, apart from all of it :-)

I will be inspecting a vehicle over the weekend and whilst the mechanical side of things presents no difficult challenges, the body however I am not familiar.

Additionally, would any member suggest a workshop in the Sydney area that may be able to look at the car as well?

Thanks for any information,

Regards,

Carl.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 17:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is it coachbuilt, or standard steel?

If it has been "restored", did they use leather, or, perish the thought, but done frequently in the 70s and 80s, naugahyde...which neither feels like leather, nor smells like leather, and thus detracts from the proper interior aroma and ambiance.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2016 - 18:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have found fellow RROCA NSW Branch member David Peterson from Peterson Smash Repairs, rear 22 Flora Street, Kirrawee ph. 9545 1885 mob. 0429 966 323 of great assistance with assessing and repairing DRH14434 during our ownership. He has worked on other members cars including John Mathieson's Phantom V after it returned from its participation in the the Peking to Paris Motor Challenge 1997.

David is a Mark VI owner and would be able to appraise the bodywork for you.

As far as mechanical items are concerned, if you want a second opinion or need repairs done, there are a number of experienced R-R/B service facilities in various locations around Sydney and your choice will most likely be determined by your location.

Carl Jones
Experienced User
Username: carl888

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 20 March, 2016 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the replies Christian and David.

The car is a late 4 1/4, standard steel. I would post the chassis number, but not just yet! I am still negotiating with the owner.

I inspected the car yesterday, I live in Melbourne, but visited Sydney for the day to view. It's fantastic in its originality, even carrying some of its original paint. The leather is untouched except for the front section of the rear seat which has oddly been re-trimmed in vinyl! Luckily, the leather removed during this exercise, which was in a plastic bag in the boot, appears in reasonable condition. I'd certainly put it back.

Overall the car is very scruffy with many significant deferred maintenance issues due to lack of use over the past 15 years. However, the body is excellent structurally. I could find no evidence of corrosion or poor repairs. The sun roof frame and drains were clear, the bottom of the doors untouched and no damage was sighted under the carpets. This is despite all the rubber seals being completely perished, luckily it was garaged otherwise it would have been water damaged.

Of significance was the fact that the car had history from day one, the large documentation folder was a big plus for me.

I will let you know how the week unfolds.

More later....

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.18.7
Posted on Monday, 21 March, 2016 - 03:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The manual gearboxes of all the pre 1954 cars are suspect regarding the thrust washer retaining the 3rd speed driven gear. The original .175" thick one cracks, breaks up and drops down between the gears ripping teeth off. The locating tongues of 3rd and 4th speed synchro cones break off leading to similar problems and failure of the synchronizing mechanism.
Check underneath the gearbox, by the lock tabbed bolt securing the layshaft, and if the raised boss has "W 1" or "W 2" stamped on it, then the washer has been upgraded. A "W" on its own means it has the original fractious washer. This is not a rare event, it is a serious common problem, and spare parts are very rare.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris has kindly forwarded the following photos in relation to his post above to me for inclusion:

David Gore

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher has forwarded some additional photos showing some examples of the broken washers and the consequences arising from the washer failure - an excellent example of the old proverb "one look is worth a thousand words" - thank you Christopher for taking the time and effort to share your photos and experience with us:

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: