Mark VI coach built problems, technic... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mark VI coach built problems, technical advice needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2003 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Everyone
I am looking at a Bentley Mark VI as my first Rolls-Royce and daily driver, technical advice needed.

I am suffering a serious attack of RR&B fever, please help.
(Bill Vatter) has suggested that I run away from this car.
The passenger doors are falling off the coach.
The sun roof has been closed and sealed with duct tape.
The rear window has leaked and window frame is rotted, glass is held in place by duct tape.
Wood veneer is gone.
Interior upholstery must be redone.
Privacy windows are in place.
Privacy curtian intact on rear window.
All instruments on console appear to be intact and functioning.
Car does run.
The tires are very old and need to be replaced.
I have not seen it move under its own power yet.
Mascot is missing.
Tools and engine crank missing.
Fender mirrors missing.

Question:
What technical challanges would I face during restoration.

whunter
RROC, Lake Michigan, Motor and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com

(Message edited by admin on April 05, 2004)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2003 - 10:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suspect your problems will be more financial than technical - the majority of the work appears to be body-related rather than mechanical and the final decision will probably depend on your experience, expertise and above all willingness to do the work involved in restoring the car.

As you are probably aware, the cost of restoring the car is rarely recovered by its increase in value once the restoration is completed so your sense of personal achievement becomes the main reward for the work involved.

I would carefully evaluate the purchase of this vehicle considering the time and cost of restoration against purchasing a car with good bodywork and tired mechanicals which suits your mechanical skills or buying a car that is well-worn but sound mechanically and bodywise.

Another consideration is that the average age of owners of these vehicles is quite high and when they die, many family members have no interest in keeping the car and as a consequence a number of vehicles will be placed on the market each year. If you are uncertain about this vehicle; wait for another more suitable vehicle to become available. The most important decision at present is to decide which R-R/B model best suits your needs and driving preferences.

Bill Vatter
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.219.143.45
Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2003 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roy,

Your picture above not quite clear enough for me to tell what it is, a standard body car or coachbuilt, perhaps Mulliner?

My own guideline for evaluating the worth of a car is to approach with a knowledge of what the car might cost after all defects are corrected to a standard that is acceptable to me. This standard is about a 2+ on the usual sacle of 1-5, with 1 being a perfect, as-new car.

So how much of that car is OK to your standard (whatever that is, better or worse than mine)? You may not be the perfectionist that I am. That's fine, you really only need to please yourself.

If your answer is "nothing is acceptable" then a fair price to you is much less than $0.

Buy something that meets your standard in most areas, i.e., paint, chrome, interior, (subdivide as necessary) Mechanical condition maybe less important to you, and sometimes very difficult to evaluate. Remember that the cost of complete paint, complete chrome, and complete interior will exceed the cost of a very nice #3+ or #2- car. Therefore a car needing all three is a parts car. The cost of re-framing a coachbuilt car will be more than $30 US, when the cost of paint is included. Such a car will be a financial dissaster to anyone who takes that on. For that to make sense, the car would have to have something to offer more than just its physical self. Common term "provenance." For example, if Queen Elizabeth owned it that adds value. If it was your grandfather's car, that adds value, but only to you (ond only if you liked your grandfather).

I don't think a parts car makes a good first purchase. Second purchase, sure.

regards, Bill

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2003 - 18:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Everyone
Thank you all for the advice.
Will not be getting the Bentley.
whunter

Martin Cutler
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.30.119.243
Posted on Monday, 05 January, 2004 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Whunter,

Sounds like my Mark Vi Freestone and Webb when I bought it, it took me 7 years to get it on the road, working on it most nights and weekends. I will not be restoring another car in the forseeable future, although keeping 6 cars running and well maintained is a nightmare!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: