New tyres for a Mk 6 special Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » New tyres for a Mk 6 special « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
Frequent User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, 19 June, 2013 - 17:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
My 1951 Mk 6 special is currently running on Cross Ply tyres.
On the front I have Excelsior 650.16, 6 ply. These are in very good condition and show little sign of any wear.
The rear of the car has Dunlop Roadspeed 700 – 16 RS 5. These are in poor condition and need replacing. I would have liked to have these tyres on the front also but they are too wide.
I have been advised that the Roadspeeds are not available at present. Does anyone know of a source for these tyres?
It has been suggested that I should just change over to all Radial tyres. I have been offered Yokohama 215/85R 16, but I am concerned that these may be too wide for the front.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Also if anyone has radials fitted to their MK6 any info and feedback would be most welcome.
Thanks
Mark

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, 19 June, 2013 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, I recommend radial tyres - even if not concours. I remember changing my Holden FC from crossply to radial and thinking I was king of the road.

If you had a set of rims, then I'd keep the cross plys for any concour events you might enter.

Safety is more important. Majority of people wouldn't know if you went to radial.

I don't know your car, but can help you with white walling any you may need - if your car has them as default. Send me a PM if so.

Mark Taxis
Frequent User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 04 July, 2013 - 15:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have changed over to Radial tyres, the handling and the ride is much improved. In the end I bought Bridgestone Dueler HT 205R 16C. These look quite good on the car and at $200 each the price was rightradial tyre

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: