Mk VI Steering Grease Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mk VI Steering Grease « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KC
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 168.210.90.232
Posted on Thursday, 12 August, 2004 - 00:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am going to follow the advice given here and fill my steering box with soft grease. Having asked at my local supplier, I get the impression they want to sell me normal all-purpose grease. How do I tell if the grease is soft enough? What must I look for on the container? I notice that some grease has EP content. Is that bad?

Regards
KC

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.57
Posted on Thursday, 12 August, 2004 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

KC.As suggested earlier, I would ONLY use a grease formulated specifically for steering boxes, since such greases, most notably the Australian "Penrite", will not cavitate. I suspect other proprietory brands DEDICATED for steering box applications would essentially be the same. Let me know where your are in SAFR and I will call Penrite to establish details of their distributor/s in your city/area. I know they will have one, since they have been exporting their premier products for some time. Regards

KC
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 168.209.98.67
Posted on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John

I am in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Thank you for all the advice! Part of the fun of obtaining a new car is doing the research.

Regards
KC

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.12
Posted on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

KC;I spoke to Penrite today and if you e mail them on penrite@penrite.com they will make arrangements to get some of their tried and proven steering box lubricant to you. Dont take any notice of suggestions re bananas in differentials (or steering boxes!) for that is just another one of those silly "stories" from High school days where few people bothered (as I did!) to ask HOW one was supposed to get the bananas INTO the differential in the first place!. That "story" was only eclipsed by the "other" story of the time, about the midnight raider who routinely entered the premises of a well known rubber products manufacturer, and armed with no more than a pin, proceeded to sabotage some of the companies more popular products. The dire consequences were self evident to all, none the least to my goodself!. In retrospect, these stories were of course, no more than puerile nonsense frequently encountered in the process of growing up. Something which most of us have managed to do.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John let us not dismiss the apocrypha too quickly. I actually helped dismantle a diff that had had a plastic garden hose fed into it for quietness. The bananas by the way were true but apparently the smell gave the game away!

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Bill, I can only surmise that the bananas most have been rotten? I guess to fit them thru the average 19mm oil filler orifice they must have been peeled first? SO messy what with rotten and "bending" bananas etc.. all slippery and gooey! YUK.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To fit banana skins to the diff, follow the schedule in TSD 6911.

Remove the body
Dismantle the steering box
Place the chassis on a vertial stand
Peel six grade PS6311 bananas, part number UB5053
Using Mixmaster part number UD 69797 shred the banana skins to a width of 0.7311 inches
Polarise the banana skins as described in Bulletin A61197
Remove the final drive drain plug and carefully insert the prepared banana skins
Reassemble vehicle
Refill the final drive with olive oil

This process has since been superseded due to the availability of synthetic bananas.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 23:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is ONE case where I will GLADY accept the recent instruction/s NOT to "Blindly follow factory bulletins" (especially the foregoing!) and thereby maintain my original choice of dedicated,special purpose "Penrite" steering box lubricant as tried and proven in the real world.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 23:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trouble is, there is no real world out there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: