Signed ltd edition A2 technical illus... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Signed ltd edition A2 technical illustrations of Mk VI « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2010 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some of you might be aware of this drawing already so sorry if this is the case. I have contacted Douglas the illustrator himself as I intend purchasing one of these large A2 sized drawings soon. I am going to get it framed and then display it in my workshop/garage.
The picture has not had much advertising and he intends only making 100 signed limited and numbered pictures so once they are gone, there gone. He has given me permission to mention this offer and I thought members of this group might be interested in purchasing one, sorry if it breaks any forum rules, just thought it was a great opportunity to get something unique.
Below is the text from The Telegraph newspaper describing both artist and picture. I have also uploaded a photo but the detail is not clearly shown due to the file size.
If you do contact him please say Mark on the Australian RR forum gave you his details so he can see where the interest is coming from, many thanks Mark Anson

Well crafted technical illustrations of machinery hold a special fascination for many car lovers. Who has not lingered on Terry Davey's cover artworks for Haynes car manuals, or even the publisher's recent offerings covering the legendary Avro Lancaster bomber or the Apollo XI lunar module?
The work of Douglas Newton is in a similar vein. Mr Newton is now retired but spent his professional life as a technical illustrator working for leading oil companies and in the aircraft industry. Some of his illustrations of the Concorde supersonic airliner were displayed in the Science Museum and he is a long-standing member of the ISTC – a professional body for technical communicators.
A passion for vintage and classic vehicles has led him to produce a cut-away technical illustration of a 1950 Bentley Mk VI.
The work shows the Bentley, its engine, front suspension, chassis, gearbox, transmission and rear axle. Reference material included Bentley engineering drawings, photographs of a Bentley chassis at the Rolls Royce & Bentley club workshop, and the illustrator's own Bentley Mk V.
Mr Newton is now offering for sale signed and numbered limited edition A2 (594 x 420mm) prints of the Bentley (shown below). The prints are in black lightfast ink and printed on 260gsm art paper. Each print is supplied with a numbered authentication certificate and costs £80 excluding postage and packaging. For £30 more, an owner's registration plate can be added for extra authenticity.
More excellent cut-aways of interesting cars will follow – Mr Newton would welcome commissions from car clubs on the subject of his next project.
Contact the illustrator at
tiagol@talk21.com
for further details
MkVI Cutaway drawing A2 size

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, 15 January, 2010 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks, just curious... has anyone enquired about purchasing one of the detailed MkVI prints yet?
Cheers Mark

Douglas Newton
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.153.17.43
Posted on Friday, 05 November, 2010 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My name is Douglas Newton and I am the Technical Illustrator mentioned in Mark’s article about my hand drawn Bentley MK VI cutaway technical illustration (Posted Jan 6th 2010).

My reason for writing is that I am considering a further illustration project and would welcome members feedback. If any members are interested in a limited edition print from my hand drawn artwork please let me know. For you information – I have sold prints of my artwork to members around the world that including: UK’s BDC, RREC and Bentley Motors in Crewe.

My proposed new project is a cutaway illustration of a Rolls Royce Cloud 1, 2 or 3 or a Bentley S1, 2, or 3. If enough interest is shown I will start this new project. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Douglas

(Message approved by david_gore)

Stefan Morley
Prolific User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, 06 November, 2010 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Douglas,

If a print was ever done of a Bentley Turbo R, 80's I would be very interested. Not quite the vintage of the models indicated.

Not the same topic but certainly memorabilia, tried getting hold of a mid 80's Bentley Scale model car and it almost seems no one ever made them. Can Find the Mulsanne but not the Turbo R's. Can find the Older and newer models, just the eighties seems like a big blank.

If a drawing ever happened let me know as 80 pounds seems like a good deal for such a detailed drawing.

Cheers
Stefan

Douglas Newton
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.129.209.32
Posted on Monday, 08 November, 2010 - 22:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Stefan,
Thank you for your reply. As you will have gathered, I am only really interested producing artwork for the older Bentley or Rolls Royce cars as this is my passion. Also it would be difficult for me to obtain engineering drawings and other technical info for the model you are asking about. I would need to apply to Bentley Motors in Crewe for their permission etc.

Good luck in finding a mid 80s Bentley scale model - have you tried the Landsdowne and Brooklin models website? I bought an excellent model of a Bentley MK VI like my own car from Landsdowne.

Regards,
Douglas

(Message approved by david_gore)

Stefan Morley
Prolific User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, 09 November, 2010 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Douglas,

Totally understand re the drawings. Lot of work in your efforts.

Thanks for the model site, just had a look with no result.

Curious that nothing seems to exist for the mid 80's cars. Must be something behind it that no model manufacturer bothered to take them on.

Cheers
Stefan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: