1936 Rolls Royce Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » 1936 Rolls Royce « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan888
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 75.110.29.93
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2010 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,

My family owns a 1936 Rolls Royce and I would like to know more about it. I know there are people that know the history of individual cars and I was hoping someone may know about this one.
The car has been in the United States around 40 years or more.

I found some paper work that says its a 25/30 HP and the Chasis no. is GRM53. Body-Enclosed Limosine. Date of sale may 1936 . invoice #6680
Chasis delivered on 10,9,36 to Hooper. It has a window in the middle that rolls down and seats that fold out. It says long wheelbase, seats 6/7

on the inside of the door it says:

Motor Body Builders and Couchbuiders to

His Majesy the King
Her Majesty the Queen
H.R.H Prince of Wales
H.R.H. The Princess Royal
H.R.H. The Duke Connaught
Hooper & Co.(coach builders) Ltd London

I would like to know the model for certain. Is it a 25/30 or a more specific model? Where would the Vehicle identification number or other markings be found on the car?
I can probably find more information if it helps.

Does anyone know more about this car or its history?

Thanks,
Alan

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Tuesday, 19 October, 2010 - 13:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan/ Your car is certainly a 25/30 HP. Can I suggest for information simply Google the car, model and chassis number - there is a lot of information there.

Then you might like to email Barbara Westlake of the Sir Henry Royce Foundation on barbarawestlake@rrec.org.uk and ask her what documentation she has on the car which should give you the details of the original purchaser which is a good start.

If she has the material she will give you a quote for copies and you can give her your credit card details. When you get the documents you can bore everyone within earshot about the vehicle.

If you dont like putting card details in an email you can call her on 44 1327 811788 and talk to her.

A picture of the car on this forum would be nice!

Alan888
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 20 October, 2010 - 14:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for answering Bill,

I may write Barbara soon. I wonder if the photocopies I found may have come from there. They are a bit difficult to read.

Before I assume that these papers I found are the exact car maybe I should find out for sure.
Where would these numbers be written on the car itself? (VIN or other identifying numbers).

I also want to be sure that the car is not a Wraith or other model. If it's a 1936 25/30 it can't be a wraith right? I saw "25/30 and Wraith" written down somewhere and it confused me a bit.

I will probably take pictures of the car sometime but it's covered up in a crowded garage with little lighting.

Alan

Alan888
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 21 October, 2010 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I looked inside the hood and found the metal plaque and it did say GRM53
A piece of paper in ther glove listed it as a 1936 model(entered in a car show).

So I can be sure its a 25/30. That's the model 25/30

It's a 1936 Rolls Royce 25/30

Then the other papers I found must be right but they are hard to read and I think just show the Hooper build information. I cant see an original owner listed.

They might have come from the Rolls Royce Enthusiasts Club. I might ask if they have additional information but I dont want to pay for what I already have.

I think I have a good idea of what the car is which is good. I might ask around to see if anyone knows the specific car history.

Alan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: