RR P II Clutch brake maintenance Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » RR P II Clutch brake maintenance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JohnWilson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 184.147.204.23
Posted on Tuesday, 09 April, 2024 - 03:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having done several test drives with 1930 Phantom II 117GN it is evident that the clutch brake is not working. Is it possible to remove the shoe to inspect its friction pad without major disassembly?

From stationary with the engine at idle depressing the clutch to engage first gear is only possible with grating gear teeth. Once moving, up shifts are fine.

Referring to 1962 40-50 HP Phantom II Handbook Part 1 pp 52 the only apparent adjustment is the angle of lever "O" on the clutch withdrawing shaft "M".

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Martin Webster
Experienced User
Username: martin_webster

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, 10 April, 2024 - 01:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, my original number IX PII manual for chassis 103TA specifically states on page 80 that there is no clutch stop or brake fitted in the clutch description paragraph. I was unaware that the earlier series were fitted with a brake.

Martin

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Wednesday, 10 April, 2024 - 07:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John...I have the same problem with my 1929 PI chassis S426MR and there is a service manual diagram that shows a clutch brake but as I could not determine how the adjustment is accomplished, have not driven the vehicle now for a number of years lest the grinding damage the transmission gears which would be a comparative disaster. Should you determine the adjustment procedure, please post here as I am most sincerely interested. Meanwhile I will try to find the service section and illustration to which I refer.

christianhan
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 71.32.50.175
Posted on Wednesday, 10 April, 2024 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John...I have exactly the same issue with my 1929 PII and scrutiny of the workshop illustrations definitely shows a clutch brake but since it appears to be not an easy adjustment and due to my age and physical limitations I have had to stop driving one of my favorite vehicles. Any further remedies of the issue are certainly of interest. Good Luck!!

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4264
Posted on Friday, 12 April, 2024 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher Carnley has kindly forwarded the image below for me to post on his behalf:

clutch

John Wilson
New User
Username: machinist60

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 12 April, 2024 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks so much Christopher and David for providing the image and description.
No friction fabric shoe liner was visible when examined with a borescope. It was found by feel that the lower end of the rod (J) was hanging free and not connected to the 'c' shaped end of the lever (K). So the brake has been applied continuously for many years. Grating gears will continue to occur at every start from stationary unless someone does a major tear down in the future.
Regards, John.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: