RR Phantom II Gearbox issue Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » RR Phantom II Gearbox issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Amir Jetha
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 122.169.118.155
Posted on Saturday, 09 November, 2013 - 15:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all. I own a 1935 PII Continental (UK62) that has recently gone through a body off restoration. One of the goals prior to restoration was to fix a niggling gearbox issue wherein, on occasion, when hot, the gearbox would stick in 2nd gear. I would have to pull over and force the lever back to neutral or push down hard like I wanted to go into reverse and then force the lever back to neutral.

Last year when working on the rest of the car, we opened the gearbox and found water damage on the bearings. All bearings were replaced, however, on reassembly and re installation, we could not get neutral between 1st & 2nd, and 3rd and 4th to align. Off came the box again and we checked and reassembled everything. We have not yet re-installed the gearbox on the car, but the alignment issue seems to be resolved, however, the 2nd gear stick issue is still there. The car goes into 2nd freely but sometimes, when we bring the lever back to neutral, while the lever will physically come back to neutral, the car remains stuck in 2nd. It takes a lot of back and forth with the lever to release 2nd gear. I am obviously hesitant to reinstall the gearbox with this issue.

This is one of 3 or 4 PIIs in India and probably the only one whose gearbox has been opened. I have tried to get hold of any available documentation, technical drawings etc. but have been told by all the usual sources (Fiennes/Paul Wood) that no documentation/drawings exist for the PII gearbox.

If there is anyone out there with some experience or documents/drawings that they are willing to share, it will be highly appreciated.

I was unable to resize an image so here is a link to an image of the car - the 1st 2 images are it.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gallery/cartier-concours-d8217elegance-2013-photo-gallery-331854.aspx#pic

Thanks in advance - Amir

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2013 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Amir,

It is a magnificent car and I have downloaded and resized the images so they can appear below. It is worth browsing the link provided by Amil as there are some magnificent and well-maintained classic cars on display including several other R-R and Bentley classics.

I am confident one or more of our Forum members will be able to help you. I am aware one of our Club members has a digital version of the Phantom II GA Drawings and I will be contacting him through his family referring him to this thread.

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2013 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have sent you an email Amir. Let me see what I can find out for you.
Regards,
Brian Crump

Amir Jetha
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 122.169.118.155
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2013 - 14:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David, I look forward to hearing from the Forum members. Amir

VK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.96.226.7
Posted on Saturday, 04 April, 2015 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,

This is Mohammed "Vintage" Khan, from India.

I have acquired a 1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom-II Engine.

I would appreciate if someone can help me obtain a P-II chassis, so i can commence a project to put together a long wheelbase Tourer.

Kindly advise.

Thanks & Regards,
Vintage Khan

Christopher Carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.162.107.192
Posted on Saturday, 04 April, 2015 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1935 was the transition year when the gearbox was provided with the 2nd speed synchromesh and consequently the "silent" constant mesh 2nd speed.
This arrangement is known to give problems, so please confirm that your gearbox has the synchronised 2nd speed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: