Cheap GPS Tracker Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Cheap GPS Tracker « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User
Username: old_mate

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2022 - 18:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

Just sharing a recent upgrade - hardly revolutionary but possibly overlooked by some.

I read with some dismay on one of the many facebook groups about a stolen 20HP - or was it a 20/25?

No matter - have you thought of slipping an Apple airtag under the carpet of your precious car?

If you're extra keen you can purchase a multipack and secrete them throughout your car to track the major sections if the car was to be parted out.

These little gems cost next to nothing and there is no ongoing cost to monitor them. All you need is your iphone.

just a thought.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2022 - 00:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good suggestion Theo.

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2022 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents - an update.

In a positive move for users, Apple has changed the way the airtag works when separated from it's registered user (ie You).

The airtaig will, after a time, notify a non-registered user (ie a Thief), that they are in the presence of an unfamiliar airtag. It will then allow them to disable the airtag using their iphone. This feature is designed to stop people being tracked without their knowledge.

In other words, a Airtag will probably only work for a short time before being rendered useless by a thief.

There are other products such as the Orbit that dont notify others, but I suspect this is a feature that will become commonplace.

So back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2022 - 11:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If said thief has an iPhone. And that's a reasonably big if.

But you are right to seek out other options as well.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4154
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2022 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

A sad reflection on the society in which we live - thieves have more rights than legitimate owners.

Acquiring an iPhone is a simple matter for the "low lifes" that are an increasing problem in our societies.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2022 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Note that the ability to deactivate using another iPhone only occurs, according to Mr. Bacon, "after a time."

It is seldom, very seldom, that one of these cars goes missing in the first place, and when they do it's generally noticed pretty quickly.

I doubt that my uppermost worry would be that the tracker would be deactivated as opposed to ferreted out and removed.

When I first got my RR the idea of theft was high in my mind. After having it for a while I realized that someone would have to be insane to steal one, as they're not something that's low profile and they cannot be easily disposed of in a chop shop, because the market is so specialized.

I came to realize that the probability of theft was remote, at best. There are many, many other cars that top the most stolen lists.

Brian

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2022 - 18:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hang on……. Mr Bacon?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3323
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2022 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo,

A brain fart on my part. I had just been reading a post from someone styling themselves "Kevin Bacon" and I believe my mind still had that name stuck there when I posted.

Between the ravages of age and having come down with some ugly bug this week that just short of killed me, and which I'm not entirely over yet but am recovering from, I'm not quite my usual self.

Brian

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2022 - 12:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well that's all very understandable. Hope you feel better soon Brian.

Yours Truly,

Porky Pig.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: