Wraith clutch adjustment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Wraith clutch adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jack Higginbotham
New User
Username: jhinmd

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, 19 April, 2021 - 20:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, The clutch on the wraith is getting near the end of travel. There also is a bit of shudder when first moving, more so when cold so a complete inspection is in order soon. Any advice or guidance appreciated!
WXA99
Thanks!!

Dorien Berteletti
New User
Username: dorien

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 19 April, 2021 - 22:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does it slip?

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, 19 April, 2021 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It does not slip. The clutch disengages when the pedal is about 1.5" from the end of travel, so if this moves much more, it should indeed begin to slip soon. The shudder has always been there, so I am guessing I will find some contamination or something obvious when I get in there.

Dorien Berteletti
New User
Username: dorien

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, 19 April, 2021 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the shudder has always been there I suspect the pressure is not even. See if you can adjust that.
If it were mine I would not rebuild the clutch at this stage.
Slipping will show up in top gear when accelerating.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.62.43.241
Posted on Tuesday, 20 April, 2021 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Wraith clutch is an 11" dry plate, Borg & Beck type, "developed" from the Fordson tractor clutch.

There is only 2 mm of facing above the brass rivets, and when the material is worn down to them there is a noticeable judder on take off.
The flywheel and pressure plate become overheated and may distort.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, 20 April, 2021 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Christopher! That is very informative and I will put the car away until I can examine it. Thank you. I am a bit concerned because it has done this since I got it several years ago...probably 100 starts and stops. Hopefully I haven’t caused a huge problem.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.62.43.142
Posted on Tuesday, 20 April, 2021 - 18:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you know any of the service history since the car left the factory, in 1938/39?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: