1938 Wraith tool storage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » 1938 Wraith tool storage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Rowney
New User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 21:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 1938 Wraith WXA68 (HJ Mulliner High Vision Saloon with division) now has all the tools originally specified. I have one query however. In Tom Clarke's book "The Rolls-Royce "Wraith"" it is mentioned that the footpump, crankhandle and spare bulbs container are stored in the boot. Currently these are in the boot without restraint. No-one I have spoken to knows much about how they should be stored. Does anyone have any knowledge of what HJ Mulliner provided for these tools, or are they just dumped in the boot?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 757
Posted on Thursday, 26 November, 2015 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Leather straps ?

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, 26 November, 2015 - 15:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For what it's worth, my quess is that "just dumped in the boot" is the least likely probability. Are there any metal "clips" scattered in various locations in the engine compartment as that is a frequent place for the storage of such things. Robert's suggestion of leather straps is also highly likely, but if there is no evidence on any of the boot panels, or behind the panels, of such attachments, it is quite possible that something like replacement panels got changed over time. Small tools and bulbs were usually in cabin somewhere, often under seats in drawers or compartments. Look for evidence of drawer slides and lift out the seat cushions (front and rear) to observe for evidence. There is almost no liklihood of things being loose in the boot. It's coachbuilt after all. They would have made provisions.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 07:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I vaguely remember a tray on slides in the boot with spanners starting handle etc and a decoke gasket set. The the foot pump was a upright one with a tee handle and foot plates, stirrups. This was on the right hand boot side in a canvas bag and hrld with a leather strap and buckle.

Even on cheap cars the tool kit is restrained. The car can't be used with this stuff just lying around in the boot. It's dangerous.

So if you can't find what the original restraint was have a look at other period cars and design your own to look period for your car. Little design details like this would vary from car to car. Coachbuilders are like this no 2 cars are ever the same.

A coach builder told me that they made these bus bodies and the fuel filler cap was made using a tea mug to mark out the corner radius, because the mug was handy.
Park Royal Vehicles just round the corner from MPW in Willesden NW London.

John Rowney
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 01 December, 2015 - 18:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The basic layout of my HJ Mulliner Wraith tool system is identical to that outlined in Tom Clarke's book. I have written to Tom, and hopefully he will be able to give some insight regarding the original restraints for these tools. I will let you know of any feedback

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2015 - 21:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All the crank handles I have seen on Wraiths go beside the hammer on the near side firewall.

tools1

tools 2

The foot pump could go under the back seat or in the boot. On Hooper WHC36 it goes in a deep slide out box under the front seat (Ignore the original points box demonstration).

tools 3

WHC36 also has a concealed dropdown compartment in the bootlid. WRB60 also has a bootlid tray listed in the build sheets as being for umbrellas.

Hooper WRB60 has shallow slide out trays under the front seats and provision for other tools under the back seat.

Park Ward Wraith WHC77 has deeper pull out boxes under the front seats and demountable small tool trays in the front kick panels.

Seems the road tools were in a standard position but the small tools were at the whim of the Coachbuilder.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.50.42
Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2015 - 00:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a must have book, "Rolls-Royce 20, 20/25 25/30.Wraith in detail",by Nick Walker.
Tool storage pics on p132/134.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2015 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not only must you get the book but why not get the car as well? 'Buttercup' 1931 20/25 GNS60 gets several pages and the rear dustcover. Just had her out to lunch and with a recently refreshed engine, going like a train!

g

g2

John Rowney
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 26 January, 2016 - 13:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry for the delay in giving a final(?) response. I have had a couple of interesting emails from Tom Clarke which included many other suggestions I will be following up. In essence the following has been resolved.
Tom had his spare bulb carrier fitted on the firewall between the steering column and the motor. He had a windscreen washer bottle on the other side of the steering column which I don't have. I think this location away from the motor might be a slightly better position to mount the spare bulb carrier. A little project for next week!
Tom had his Nesthill footpump located in the boot between a covered timber strip and the wheel arch. My Wraith has the same fitting, but the Nesthill pump does not quite fit.
Tom had the crank handle and the Ace wheel disc spanner stored under the front seat where there is a lot of room. I have done the same. While looking under the seat to fit these 2 tools, I noticed a permanently located shallow open boxed area. The Nesthill pump fitted perfectly in this spot - obviously the location created for it by the coachbuilders.
It is interesting to see that there is a wide variation by different coachbuilders in the method of storing tools. I am confident that the tools in WXA68 are now as per the coachbuilder's original concept. Many thanks to all for contributions.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, 19 February, 2016 - 04:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gaaa what a Beauty!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: