GDK35 "Lady Jane" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » GDK35 "Lady Jane" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, 16 June, 2006 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On June 20th, 1956 the first Branch of the RROC(A) was formed in NSW. The two foundation members who received receipts numbered 1 and 2 - a courting couple at the time and married shortly afterward - were recently granted Honorary Life Membership of the Club in recognition of their continued active membership fifty years on. (See Praeclarum No. 3-06 June 2006.)

The vehicle they owned at the time - and thus a "founding" car of the RROC(A) - was a 1924 20HP they had named "Lady Jane". This was his first car and the car in which they subsequently embarked on their honeymoon. There is a photo of the newlyweds in front of the car on page 20 of David Neely's history of the RROC(A), "In The Rearview Mirror". The body was a "Maillard" limousine, originally from a Mercedes, that he installed on GDK35's chassis.

GDK35 in 1956

GDK35 was sold soon after to fund the couple's trip to the USA and UK for his post-graduate work in dental research. George Green was the selling agent and after several owners the car eventually turned up near Port Macquarie, NSW in the 1970s, where it remained until very recently.

The vehicle is no longer in the Port Macquarie district because I bought it and it's now in my garage in Sydney! She's in almost exactly the same configuration as fifty years ago. She's been on restricted registration for over thirty years but will soon bear full NSW registration, as she's in excellent condition and runs remarkably well.

GDK35 in May, 2006

So why am I telling you all this? Well, the 1956 owners of this car were my parents, Barrie and Margaret! "Lady Jane" has returned to the Gillings family - and just in time for their fiftieth wedding anniversary in November.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, 17 June, 2006 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That’s fantastic news Chris and please pass on our best wishes to your parents.

It is a lovely thing to see an old friend return to roost and your parents must be excited to see it back in the family again.

Well done.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 594
Posted on Saturday, 17 June, 2006 - 09:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Chris,

"The wheel turns full circle" and it is a real pleasure to see the next generation taking a keen interest in keeping your family's connection with the past alive.

As a matter of interest, who was the "Lady Jane" who provided the inspiration for your car's name? I suspect there is a literary connection but I cannot think of the author and book.

I trust "Lady Jane" will play a starring role on Barry and Margaret's Golden Wedding Anniversary.

(Message edited by david_gore on June 17, 2006)

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 635
Posted on Friday, 26 February, 2016 - 23:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever"

Any updates?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: