It is all relevant you see. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » It is all relevant you see. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2020 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Look at the picture and you may notice the R-R badge.
What is MORE relative (as in Albert Einstein) is the signs on the building behind which is situated near to where I live. This building has this week made science history. It is the Pawsey Super Computer Centre. This is what has been discovered there this week;-
“An Australian radio telescope has conducted a record-breaking survey of the southern sky, mapping three million galaxies — including about one million never seen before — in just two weeks.
It is the first time CSIRO's Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (ASKAP), a radio telescope located about 370 kilometres north-east of Geraldton in Western Australia, has been thoroughly tested, and the results have been considered a game-changer for astronomers.
The Rapid ASKAP Continuum Survey (RACS) has created a "Google Map" of the Universe from 903 radio images in 300 hours. In the past, similar surveys have taken years to complete.
The 13.5 Exabytes of raw data generated by the telescope was processed and reconstructed using CSIRO's custom-built software ASKAPsoft at the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre in Kensington, Western Australia.”
So I guess this begs the question of how will Goodwood ever fit 3 million galaxies in the headliner of a Wraith?
Pewsey

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2020 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Harry

The achievement has made the world news - I read about it a couple of days ago:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55139976

Geoff

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3845
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2020 - 16:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry,

The car in the photo brings back memories from 2002 - still looks as good as ever .

I am certain Goodwood would find a way although I wouldn't have the temerity to suggest the additional price for the option.

However, I am certain there will be at least one "nouveau riche" buyer in the world who will do this for bragging rights!

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 722
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2020 - 14:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very impressive galaxy mapping achievement. Never mind Goodwood's starry roof liners, I can actually see the moon clearly with my naked eye through the sunroof aperture in my Silver Shadow.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: