But I just drove on it a few seconds. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » But I just drove on it a few seconds. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Monday, 20 January, 2020 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I lost pressure in a tire while driving my VW yesterday and couldn't pull over.

I bought a tire and mounted it. Here's how it looked inside after 10 seconds driven flat.

I never refit a tire that was driven flat. People sometimes say " but I just drove on it for xx seconds / feet." Can you plug it? Answer ... No.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Tuesday, 21 January, 2020 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glad you ended up safe Ross.

Yes,
One of the most misunderstood items on a vehicle that’s for sure.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3561
Posted on Tuesday, 21 January, 2020 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

Also this is probably a classic case of a tyre long past its safe Use By Date.

Why didn't you keep a copy of the Moderator's long-time post which included a guide to reading the information on a tyre sidewall which gives you the date of manufacture for the tyre? See the last section for where to find and how to read the Age Code.

The effective safe life for a tyre is quoted as 6 years after it was manufactured REGARDLESS of whether it has low, intermediate or high mileage.

For this reason, also be very wary of tyres for rare/limited production vehicles that may spend most of their useful life on a tyre rack before they are sold. Even more so when contemplating normally expensive tyres being offered at low prices.....................

Tyre Life

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Tuesday, 21 January, 2020 - 10:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Very valid concern about old rubber.

Sorry, my post was badly written.

I had the tire that was on the car go flat. I bought the car in '17 so it wasn't that old. It just hit something serious in the road and got a substantial leak. It lost pressure in just a few seconds.

Then I went and bought a couple of GoodYear Assurance 205/55/16's to replace the rears.

The picture is the result of driving a car a short distance on a flat (full disclosure I had a few hundred lbs in the boot)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: