Apollo crew visit Sydney Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Apollo crew visit Sydney « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
Can anyone identify the below car that transported the
Apollo 11 crew on their visit to Sydney on November 1 1969.
The rego number was ZSF170.

Is it still in existence?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 19:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

If my memory remains intact, I recall there were two LWB Hooper Ceremonial Silver Wraiths in the 1950's Comcar fleet. The story of the Comcar fleet 1968-1975 is on the following link:

https://www.finance.gov.au/sites/default/files/COMCAR-six.pdf

You might have to access David Neely's book "Rolls-Royce in a Sunburnt Country" to get the chassis numbers. Another possible source would be the SHRF Archives in Melbourne as the delivery details for the cars should be in the records kept by them.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Amazing stuff David.
Thank you.

I have David’s book, so I will take a look.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Monday, 22 July, 2019 - 00:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Awesome.

Wish I could have seen that!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Monday, 22 July, 2019 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was in the middle of University end-of-year exams at the time and attending a physical metallurgy exam at the same time as the parade had to be given priority .

The crowds were huge as can be seen from the photos.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/apollo-11-astronauts-trip-to-australia-highlighted-in-newly-unearthed-colour-news-reel/ar-AAEpSVb?li=AAgfIYZ

And now for the real treasures, The Australian HoneySuckle Creek Tracking Station near Canberra received the first 8-9 minutes of the moon walk until the larger and more powerful Parkes Radio Telescope [immortalised in the film "The Dish"] could pick up the signal from the moon [the quality of the signal at the Goldstone NASA station in California was significantly less than the Australian signal and the reception responsibility was immediately switched to HoneySuckle Creek]:

https://honeysucklecreek.net/msfn_missions/Apollo_11_mission/sydney.html

A full list of accessible HoneySuckle Creek archived information is on the following link:

ttps://honeysucklecreek.net/msfn_missions/Apollo_11_mission/index.html

ABC TV filmed the Sydney Parade using colour film for the first time no doubt to to the historical significance involved and this was included in a TV documentary telecast on the 16th July 2019. Australian members can view this documentary on the following IView link available to the 15th August [please advise if this documentary can be accessed by our International members and let me know]:

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/fly-me-to-the-moon

The ABC Facebook page contains some of this footage:

https://www.facebook.com/abcinsydney/videos/rare-colour-film-of-apollo-11-astonauts-in-sydney-november-1969-retrofocus/403524380272036/

I will have to tell the story of my involvement in confirming the authenticity with NASA of Skylab debris in 1980 when I was Acting State Manager West Australia for Comsteel [Commonwealth Steel Company - a BHP subsidiary] another time.

Australia will always be there to help out when needed..............................

Brian Crump
Experienced User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, 23 July, 2019 - 06:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning Patrick - where did you find these two photos?
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Tuesday, 23 July, 2019 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning Brian.

I took the pics with my phone off Chanel 7 news

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, 26 July, 2019 - 11:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found this among my old photos (Photographs or snaps as they were sometimes called,used to be the norm until the advent of the digital age)

[And yes, there IS a R-R in the photo..I believe]

Moom Landing 1

Moon Landing 2

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: